Honored Contributor

Non traditional health insurance

Does anyone have LIBERTY Health Share (health insurance) it is a 'non-traditional' policy health insurance company)  Currently I have MEDI-SHARE but am considering switching, and am curious if anyone has experience with this company, thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Non traditional health insurance

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs  No, I don't.  But I'm sure you will do careful research whatever you purchase.  I am limited in my insurance choices by my employer (currently Kaiser...I'll select Blue Cross for the new year....doesn't  really matter in my case).  If I go outside the system, I get to pay. (and I do when necessary - very expensive)

I probably have a different perspective than most.  Always looking for a nontraditional holistic alternative method doctor within the traditional system.  Unfortunately, they don't exist.  Even if the doctors wanted to offer alternative methods, instead of meds or surgery, their hands are tied by the system and they push a lot of product and services that I would never agree to. Most have very little knowledge outside of their medical schooling.   So my medical insurance is a luxury that I never take advantage of unless an obvious clear cut service is required (i.e., a serious cut that required stitches).

I support you and wish you well in your search for a nontradition insurance policy,  Let us  know.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd.....several years ago my traditional policy went to around $1,000...this year it is $1,300/month!  It was/is good insurance but out of my reach financially.

I do have MEDI SHARE, no wellness is covered, premium is roughly $375/month, with a $4,000 deductible.  LIBERTY is less per month and deductible is $1,000, big difference.  

I am tempted to switch to the less expensive policy and was looking for anyone that had this type of policy.  Finding a review is not difficult but all are biased in my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

I don't have it but have heard it advertised.  I think if you are healthy Liberty could become very expensive for it will only work if it has millions of people enrolled who are good payers and who stay enrolled.  One doesn't have a network and you go wherever you want and so for hypchondriacs it's a dream come true as well as for the very sick who through no fault of their own, drive up the costs by soaring hospital and physician medical charges.  Liberty expects all of their members to pay for one another.  

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom.   Medishare works in the same way as Liberty......the bills are 'shared' by others that pay their monthly share...so yes, If a lot of people do not pay their monthly share, there is not enough money to go around or  to 'share' .

Medishare told me that they have paid all bills that are submitted and that meet the requirements of the plan, I have not requested that info from Liberty yet, but will before switching plans.

If you go to the doctor with either plan (except Liberty which covers some wellness visits) ....you pay out of pocket until the deductible is met so for a hypchondriac...is it not a good deal.

Trusted Contributor

mine is the pitts.  it is an hmo type of plan and they do nothing but call want want tme to do all kinds of test.  i just told them no way.  i know what i need and i will call and make an appointment when i need to do so.

health care in this nation is the pitts

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Does anyone have LIBERTY Health Share (health insurance) it is a 'non-traditional' policy health insurance company)  Currently I have MEDI-SHARE but am considering switching, and am curious if anyone has experience with this company, thanks!

@Mom2Dogs

I just googled ratings for this plan and what also came up are numerous complaints with the Better Business Bureau.   Makes me rather wary.

Google it and read .....  

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

mine is the pitts.  it is an hmo type of plan and they do nothing but call want want tme to do all kinds of test.  i just told them no way.  i know what i need and i will call and make an appointment when i need to do so.

health care in this nation is the pitts

@shortbreadlover, we have our insurance and Medicare through Kaiser. We've actually been with them for years. Everything is now computerized, which I love. Yes, they keep us informed about what we need. I think it's an excellent feature to keep people proactive.

You may or may not know what you need, but I can assure you that most have no idea.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44.... I have googled, I was just looking for first hand experience.

Medishare did not seem to have many complaints, I only saw one.

Liberty Share...had more, I think sometimes those that sign up do not read the details close enough, and were unhappy because something was not covered....others seemed upset that their bills were slow in being paid.... their (Liberty's) excuse was fast growth of the company........when Liberty responded the bills did get paid..was it because the complaint was made to the BBB, I don't know.

I have had Medishare for over a year, I have not been to the doctor, nor have I  had to file any claims....I am healthy but we all know the shoe could drop any day....I was looking for a lower monthly premium.

Regular Contributor

I am not sure where my reply went, but I posted that I do have a similar one known as Samaritan ministries  and totally love them. If the insurance industry ever gets better I am not sure I would go back to them. I can choose who I want to see whenever, and my portion would be $300 for any incident. Though if I can get $300 in discounts for paying cash, I get credit for it. I just did my first share in June and it didn't cost me a thing.  

There is also a new one starting up in Jan. called Knew Health.