Honored Contributor

Nomorobo calls seems to be working now

I posted about this earlier. This was for my land line. I registered with Nomorobo calls to stop nuisance "ghost calls".  The phone would ring and would not leave a message. The caller was actually a computer. The scam was the first step to find if a live person was at my phone number.  The first two days after I registered, I didn't receive any unwanted phone calls.  Then they started again.  Each time I would report the telephone number to Nomorobo calls.  Easy to do, just pulled them up on the computer, put down the number and name (if any)  usually it was a location. They were blocked. The number of them soon dropped down to about 2 a day.  Now they only ring once and stop.  So Nomorobo call was stopping them.  It does takes a while, but this company really does stop them.   The service is for your land line and your cell phone.  The land line must be digital voice with a cable carrier like Verizon or Comcast, etc. The service is free.  For your cell phone, I think they charge.  I think the reason is that It's easier for them to stop cell phone calls then the land line.  I almost never get robo calls on my cell phone, just the land line. I first heard of them, when I called Verizon to complain about the calls.  They pointed me to Nomorobo calls. After I register, they connected with Verizon to stop the calls.

Honored Contributor

Re: Nomorobo calls seems to be working now

@songbird   Glad you are having some success.  The scam calls are persistent...I finally dropped our landlline after years of just not answering.  Now the scammers are beginning to infiltrate the cell phone.  Odd because I've blocked every number that is not on my contact list.  Just one of the vagaries of our world...I don't pay much attention.  I continue to block every number that gets through that is not recognized,

Keep us posted, as this is an ongoing nuisance for everyone.  Hoping the Nomorobo registry is an answer. 

Frequent Contributor

I changed my phone service last Fall to my internet provider.   Since I changed my robo calls have gone down to 0.   I also got a new phone that I programmed that if it was a real person that must push a certain number for the call to come through.   I can pull up my account on my internet provider to see how many robo calls have tried to call.   I love not having the phone ring constantly.  

Honored Contributor

@songbird    Think about it, if these crooks are willing to lie, cheat and steal to scam people, why would they pay any attention to a law where there is no enforcement? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@quilter61 wrote:

I changed my phone service last Fall to my internet provider.   Since I changed my robo calls have gone down to 0.   I also got a new phone that I programmed that if it was a real person that must push a certain number for the call to come through.   I can pull up my account on my internet provider to see how many robo calls have tried to call.   I love not having the phone ring constantly.  

I'd love to have that phone!  Where did you get it?

Esteemed Contributor

I have Spectrum for my landline - and they're not able to block SCAM calls. Once in a while, the caller ID says "SPAM" - so I guess they blocked a few. I get around 5 to 10 SCAM calls a day ---- when they call 2 or 3 times in a row, I know it's the same SCAMMERS - showing different phone numbers. All my calls go to my answering machine and they never leave a message.

Trusted Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I have Spectrum for my landline - and they're not able to block SCAM calls. Once in a while, the caller ID says "SPAM" - so I guess they blocked a few. I get around 5 to 10 SCAM calls a day ---- when they call 2 or 3 times in a row, I know it's the same SCAMMERS - showing different phone numbers. All my calls go to my answering machine and they never leave a message.

@kivah  You can block the numbers yourself in your online spectrum account.  I've blocked quite a few.  And a spectrum rep can also do it for you, which I've had them do when the site was down.  Just give the rep the # you want blocked.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deree wrote:

@kivah wrote:

@kivah  You can block the numbers yourself in your online spectrum account.  I've blocked quite a few.  And a spectrum rep can also do it for you, which I've had them do when the site was down.  Just give the rep the # you want blocked.

Today, I received around 6 Robo calls - the most in one day. They always use different "fake" phone numbers - several were my area code and some were from other states.