Regular Contributor

Re: No wonder 10 people have already died trying to summit Everest

Whoever is issuing these permits needs to limit the number of climbers allowed within a certain timeframe. I can't believe the sheer numbers filing up that summit. One slip, and the whole line could tumble down at once like dominos.

Respected Contributor

I just watched the documentary "Sherpa." For those defending these climbers, I highly recommend you watch this. It will change your perspective, at least it did mine.

These thrill seekers cannot get up there without the help of the Sherpas, who do all the heavy lifting (literally). They carry the heavy loads, set up the camps, map out the course, and even cook and clean up after the foreign tourists.

It is a total vanity project for people with too much money and time on their hands. They exploit the Sherpas, and they are the ones paying the highest price. These selfish climbers get to the top (not without the help of the Sherpas) and get their selfie and act like they accomplished some great feat. They leave trash all over and sometimes their corpses. Who has to go clean all that up? That's right -- the Sherpas.

Look at that photo. It's disgusting. It looks like a ****** line at Disneyland. There's nothing special about climbing Everest anymore.

Mt. Everest death toll rises to 11 as Nepal defends issuing hundreds of permits

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@vsm wrote:

It's the selfie generation...

I’m sure 1953 Sir Edmund Hillary, right now,

is rolling his eyes at that remark.

If I’m climbing that mountain, I’m gettin’ a da*mn picture. 

462F8F22-E960-4B34-BF1E-11C4976EA087.jpeg

He climbed it with Tenzing Norgay, a Nepalese Sherpa, yet Norgay somehow always gets erased from history. I urge you to watch Sherpa and hear from Norgay's children.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@SahmIam, You are so right.  Even a high official of the government of Nepal admitted he estimated that only 50% of the Everest climbers have the experience to climb this mountain.  The Sherpa guides have a treacherous job as it is.  They make numerous trips up and down the mountain for every expedition, carrying ropes, ladders, tents, heating apparatus for tents, oxygen tanks, and now even dining tables for tents at all the base camps.  It is the only way for male Sherpa tribe members to earn money.

Many of them die.  And their risk is greatly increased by having to guide climbers who have an obvious lack of experience.

Someone posted a picture of Hillary at the summit.  No fault of the poster at all, but little attention is given to Tenzing Norgay, the Sherpa who climbed with him and made this all possible.  In fact, some still wonder which of the two men was the first to stand at the top of the world’s tallest mountain.

There are some questioning the ethics of this all.  Yes, you have the right to risk your life for the thrill of this.  But in doing so, you are risking the lives of many Sherpa guides.  For those Sherpa, this is the only way they can feed their families.  So many have died.  In fact, I believe it was a son of a noted Sherpa, now living in the U.S., who said Everest has turned into a “cash cow” and compared the long lines of climbers to a version of “Disneyworld.”

I wonder how Kathmandu has fared after the massive earthquake a few years ago that destroyed most of the city and killed so many.

You can probably tell that I don’t read fiction.  The history of all this, learning about the culture, the mentality, etc., has obviously enthralled me for a long time.

I might add that I began by reading “Into Thin Air,” but learned that some dispute some facts in this book.  It vilianized a Russian guide

for the tragedy.  He was so adept that he did not need oxygen.  As good as he was, he was killed in an avalanche climbing another mountain.  Sadly so, as there are always risks of sudden storms, an avalanche, or edema in those climbing.

Thank you for your enlightening comments.  It doesn’t take much to get me going!!!

@PamfromCT I posted my rant (lol) before seeing your post. I agree with every word of your post. Learning about the Everest climbs has definitely changed my view of these expeditions.