Honored Contributor

Re: No-sew mask (helps keep hands away from face)

Thanks for offering good ideas, @GingerPeach !

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used a bandana and 2 ponytail elastics. It is very simple and easy to make. 

joann fabrics sells bandanas.  My store is closed but has curbside pickup.

Honored Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

@GingerPeach  Ty for the info!! I think that's super neat! I am curious as to if anyone knows would something like this offer any protection? Or is it just so YOU don't touch your face? 

@BrandiDavis 

The following is an excerpt from an article in The Atlantic about various masks:

"In the meantime, citizens (and, unfortunately, many health-care workers) will have to make do with MacGyvering their own alternatives. A few studies suggest that homemade cloth masks are less effective than proper medical ones, but are still better than nothingIn one experiment, a surgical mask filtered 96 percent of viral particles from the air, a tea towel blocked 83 percent, and a cotton T-shirt blocked 69 percent. In general, thicker materials are better than thinner ones, Marr said, and a tight fit across the face is important. If people use makeshift masks, they should thoroughly wash them afterward. And most of all, they should remember that homemade masks are not fully protective. They’re a last-ditch measure to be used in situations when social distancing isn’t possible. “It’s not like ‘I’m wearing [a mask] and now I can talk to everyone,’” Bourouiba said."

The whole article is here:

theatlantic DOT com/health/archive/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-airborne-go-outside-masks/609235

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Personally, it is easier to wear a loose cotton mask, than rubber gloves.  When I have to wear rubber gloves I now do this to prevent sweaty hands.  I wear a disposable or of cotton museum gloves, then the rubber gloves.  I might make a mask  if I can remember how t sew, lol

Occasional Contributor

Please don't forget to mention nursing assistants/caregivers. They are the cornerstone of care for older population. They help millions of elderly and disabled people with bathing, feeding, grocery shopping. Many work in nursing facilities, home care, and hospice. They are paid minimum wage, no protective gear, no paid sick leave, no health insurance.

They are the heroes, too. God bless our caregivers. 🙏
Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing!  When I next go to the grocery store, I will wear one- I'm fine but I would feel a little more protected. I was reading that the amount of virus correlates to severity, and masks could decrease that- 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Brilliant.  What an idea.this could have many quick uses even working around dust or garden allergens

Honored Contributor

My elderly mother was in the hospital back in late December and January. She had shingles and was in isolation ( in a room alone). Whenever anyone went into her room, we had to gown up, use latex gloves, and masks. I don't know how the nurses and doctors do this!  With the mask on I felt like I couldn't breathe. God Bless the first responders, doctors, and nurses, they are true angels.