Honored Contributor

I have never heard no problem in response to a gift.  It is when someone thanks you for doing something and no problem is the response meaning it was either their job or it was no big thing that they did.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

I'm just happy that someone does something nice that elicits a Thank You and the friend rants on FB - that to me is rude

I'm on team no problem than you're welcome. I don't know when the transition happened and didn't know some views it as inappropriate until I saw it many times on this forum. There are many things that irk people here which I never thought about. I'm not as old as some but certainly not a millennial.

I say you're welcome in a sarcastic way -

You hold the door open and no acknowledgment- a nod, smile would do- I don't need a verbal Thank You. That's when I say You're Welcome loud and clear.

@Yahooey 

Wait for it-somebody is sure to come along and say that they hold the door with no expectation of a thank you.  Dollars to donuts, for sure, because we have seen this before.

Hey, better than giving that person a swift kick in the butt.  LOL

And here it is!!!  I hold a door or help someone with no expectation of a thank you!   It's just polite and something I rountinely do.  That is the way I was raised!!  Not getting a verbal thank you then sarcastically saying you're welcome is rude.  Either you do something to genuinely help someone or you just want to be seen as nice when in reality you are doing it for the wrong reasons!! 

Agreed. Hollering/yelling "You're welcome" in a voice that is "loud and clear" is even MORE rude than the person not falling all over themselves to say "Thank-you".

Two wrongs don't make a right.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: “No problem”

[ Edited ]

Accept the things we cannot change -- and we can't change people who don't think as we do. Why bother when it's so trivial? I've been saying 'no worries' to people for a few years when they apologize or 'over' thank me for something. Recently a lady said -- 'What makes you think I was worried?' Okay, rude, but shrug -- she may have woke up on the wrong side of the bed or was wound a bit tight. I just smile and don't respond.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: “No problem”

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

I'm just happy that someone does something nice that elicits a Thank You and the friend rants on FB - that to me is rude

I'm on team no problem than you're welcome. I don't know when the transition happened and didn't know some views it as inappropriate until I saw it many times on this forum. There are many things that irk people here which I never thought about. I'm not as old as some but certainly not a millennial.

You hold the door open and no acknowledgment- a nod, smile would do- I don't need a verbal Thank You. That's when I say You're Welcome loud and clear.

@Yahooey 

Wait for it-somebody is sure to come along and say that they hold the door with no expectation of a thank you.  Dollars to donuts, for sure, because we have seen this before.

And here it is!!!  I hold a door or help someone with no expectation of a thank you!   It's just polite and something I rountinely do.  That is the way I was raised!!  Not getting a verbal thank you then sarcastically saying you're welcome is rude.  Either you do something to genuinely help someone or you just want to be seen as nice when in reality you are doing it for the wrong reasons!! 

Agreed. Hollering/yelling "You're welcome" in a voice that is "loud and clear" is even MORE rude than the person not falling all over themselves to say "Thank-you".

@Anonymous032819 @Pook   Of course we do things without expectations.

However, the person who had the door held should have been raised to say "Thank you" too.

There is a difference between expecting the "thank you" and a person having the manners to say "thank you".

Personally, I don't care if somebody says it or not but good manners DO go both ways, do they not?

If somebody holds the door for me, I say "thank you".  Good manners.

If somebody doesn't thank me, my life goes on.

My point was that there are always the ones who have "been raised right", "have good manners", etc. etc. etc.

Just because that one poster is bothered doesn't mean she wasn't "raised right".

Too easy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Yahooey wrote:

@Yahooey 

@Anonymous032819 @Pook   Of course we do things without expectations.

However, the person who had the door held should have been raised to say "Thank you" too.

There is a difference between expecting the "thank you" and a person having the manners to say "thank you".

Personally, I don't care if somebody says it or not but good manners DO go both ways, do they not?

If somebody holds the door for me, I say "thank you".  Good manners.

If somebody doesn't thank me, my life goes on.

My point was that there are always the ones who have "been raised right", "have good manners", etc. etc. etc.

Just because that one poster is bothered doesn't mean she wasn't "raised right".

Too easy.

Just because someone doesn't say "Thank-you" when a door is held open for them, does not mean that they weren't "raised right".

They could have something on their mind, like a loved one is in the hospital, or dying, or they're thinking about an upcoming meeting.

People aren't perfect, and never will be.

I forgive those who don't say "Thank-you" when I hold the door open for them.

I just figure that they probably have more going on than I realize.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm just happy to hear someone, anyone, say "thank you" these days.  Every day pleasantries are disappearing.    I don't really care if the response is "no problem" or "you're welcome" or nothing.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Much Ado about nothing.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)