Esteemed Contributor

No organization will take a stray cat..........

I put this here hoping more eyes would see it than in the pet forum.

DD & I feed some stray cats and have for years.  A  couple have been getting a meal here for that long and they all get along except for an occasional paw on the head if one nudges someone over at mealtime.

2 weeks ago another male showed up and he fights with our regulars. Otherwise he is not aggresive to us and I don't want him hungry but he is being a jerk.

DD has called 5 different places to see if we can take him there but no one wants him.

If we get one and can get hold of it without losinng a pound of flesh we take it for shots and spaying or neutering. Some, even after months, don't want to be picked up. We have found homes for some.

If he behaved and didn't terrorize the other cats he would be welcome too. Yes, I am a crazy cat lady.  lol

Any ideas or thoughts?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: No organization will take a stray cat..........

Is he a black cat? I read the shelters can not get them adopted. A few years ago a mostly black cat would come down and see me at a mall parking lot. My son helped me take her home. She is so sweet--has some white down her chest and paws. 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  In my area, you call Animal Control or go the pound. Both are not non-kill and they'll tell you up front how long the animal will be kept before they euthanize it.

Due to an explosion of kittens, there is no foster facility available in my county for strays. A good friend of mine has been trying to home 2 sisters (9 months) that a neighbor left behind when she moved (evil!!) and is now looking at out of state foster homes; it's crazy! She already has 2 cats and that's enough for her at this time. She's feeding, grooming and caring for them but she needs to find them a home.

I wish I could help you but other than the local shelters and foster homes, I have no idea where you can go to re-home him. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1   No he's not black, he's kind of brown/gray striped.  We do have a couple black ones though.  One female is short haired with the shinest coat and she's a wonderfully sweet cat and wants to be with whoever is on the porch.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@halfpint1   No he's not black, he's kind of brown/gray striped.  We do have a couple black ones though.  One female is short haired with the shinest coat and she's a wonderfully sweet cat and wants to be with whoever is on the porch.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   They won't accept ferals as they are not adoptable.  I have tamed a few in my life, but it isn't easy, and there came a point when I had to refuse to take another one into my home, though if one had entered my garden, as the others did, I would take care of it as I love cats.

If you can catch him and have him neutered, this may help with his behavior, but usually it is instinctual as even neutered males are territorial, in fact, I had more problems with females, spayed, the males here got along.  I was in rescue for many years, but the black cats were never adopted, so I kept them.

Respected Contributor

I have a colony of feral cats that I take care of.  I couldn't get any agency to take them either.   Best Friends did pay for spaying and neutering, but they were brought back to the neighborhood.  I had one like that.  I advertised in a local paper and got him adopted as a barn cat.

Respected Contributor

All our local shelters are full.  They cant take anymore. They are just inundated with kittens and cats.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl   We have never had one that did not play nice with the rest.  DD talked about trying to get him to wear we can nab him and get him neutered.  Most show up at 7:30 am for breakfast and then dinner about 6:00 in the evening.  They do their own thing during the day.

During the winter our glass top table gets a canvas cover to the floor and we put plastic on the floor under it with old blankets and quilts and cat beds so they have a warm/dry place. Bedding gets tossed in the spring.  The porch has a roof and a gate so they are safe. DD buys cat milk in the winter and mixes a little warm water so they get something warm in their bellies.  Yes, we are pathetic with them.  don't want them cold or hungry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

“Some, even after months, don’t want to be picked up”

Translation...they are being fed & breeding at will.

OK.

Here’s a little Animal Reproductive lesson.

”...feed some stray cats & have for years”

That action, while from the outside appears very generous,

is hurting the cat population. These cats need to be neutered

before feeding.

”...male...he fights with our regulars..”

He is wanting to gain dominance & breed...that’s the aggression.

Again, he & the others need to be neutered before feeding.

”...being a jerk...”

No he’s being an unneutered cat.

Having unneutered cats roaming the neighborhood is not good.

It hurts them in the long run...with fighting, biting, aggressiveness,

spreading diseases.  The responsible person would get Animal Control

deal with it.  Work with them to see if they could given you trap cages to make their job easier.  Continually feeding an unneutered Animal

is not cool. 

Honored Contributor

Retired legal Secretary

I wish I had answers for you.  My sister took care of stray cats and tried to trap and have them neutered. She was successful with some but not with all.  However, she fed them and put much time, effort and money into caring for them.  She also had cats of her own and took  some of the strays in.

I must say I admire and respect you and my sister and all organizations who do what they can to help strays.  It is so uplifting to know people care about those without voices despite how difficult their quest may be. They are my heroes, each and everyone,  I wish you the best for these acts of compassion and kindness, may you be rewarded with blessings and the deep gratitude for all animal advocates.  Thank you!!!!