Honored Contributor

Re: No organization will take a stray cat..........

We have two main shelters here, and I have looked at their websites for years.  In fact, I looked at both of them yesterday.  I have one dog and one cat and don't want anymore.  I just look out of interest.  I never see any dogs except pit bull mixes.  I don't know if it's because they call specific breed rescue groups when they get a purebred in or what.  That may be it, but there truly are never anything but pit bull mixes.

My niece was interested in adopting a dog at one point, and went to the shelter several times.  She said that all they had were pit bull mixes.  It's sad.

As far as the original poster goes, I agree that she should try to get a trap and trap, neuter and release.  That would be the best thing for the cats.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi--sorry I don't have any advice other than what some of the other posters have mentioned but I did want to say thank you for helping take care of them. It's so wonderful that you have a kind heart! I ended up adopting my stray that I was feeding in the backyard so you don't want any advice from me LOL! My guy was a lone wolf so to speak. He was always alone & very skittish. At first he was very timid & would only go to the food once I went inside. It took months of me talking to him & reassuring him & then he came around. He was so sweet & loveable that when the fall came around I thought, either I have to find him a home or I have to take him. In Sept. it will be 3 years & my Dovovan is loving every minute of being a house cat & he gets along great with my old man (18yr old) Chance.I hope for your sake the new cat learns to play nice with the others. Again, it is a wonderful thing that you & your husband are doing. God Bless & take care of all of you.Heart 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@mousiegirl   We have never had one that did not play nice with the rest.  DD talked about trying to get him to wear we can nab him and get him neutered.  Most show up at 7:30 am for breakfast and then dinner about 6:00 in the evening.  They do their own thing during the day.

During the winter our glass top table gets a canvas cover to the floor and we put plastic on the floor under it with old blankets and quilts and cat beds so they have a warm/dry place. Bedding gets tossed in the spring.  The porch has a roof and a gate so they are safe. DD buys cat milk in the winter and mixes a little warm water so they get something warm in their bellies.  Yes, we are pathetic with them.  don't want them cold or hungry.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   You may already know how to trap a feral, here is my story.

I had seen a feral for quite a while coming to my yard then into the garage where I fed my cats. One day he came into the yard holding one of his arms straight out, so I knew he was injured,  I got a humane trap, but he was too smart to go inside

My next plan, which worked, was to wait until he came into the garage, then from the outside I closed the side door, then went back to the garage where I had a cat carrier standing on end, and a large towel.  Of course, he was terrified but finally jumped onto the work bench where I threw the towel over him so he couldn't see, then slipped him into the carrier, and off to the Vet we went, shots, abscess treated, and neutering.

When he was let out at the Vet's, he was beyond terrified, I swear I could see his tonsils he opened his mouth so wide while hissing.  The Vet put a slip noose on him, for lack of a better word, and he was anesthetized and taken to surgery.

I brought him home several days later, and didn't see him again for three days.  He then returned, and we began working on trust, took me quite a while, but in the end, he came to sleep on our bed with my other cats, at the time, and was the sweetest cat, a big guy.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Ask your local animal shelter if you can borrow a cat trap. 

They look like this.

cattrap.jpg

You bait the back of the trap with cat food, and when he steps on a metal plate, the door closes behind him, preventing him from getting out.

You then drape a towel or blanket over the trap, so that he can't see what's happening.

There is a handle on top to carry the trap, so you don't have to get your hands near claws.

You then take the trap to a vet who will give him his shots and neuter him.

When you pick him up from the vet's, he will be back in the trap, and you return him to your neighborhood to set him free.

It's called TNR.

Trap

Neuter.

Return.

No, he isn't adoptable.

He is a wild animal, just like a raccoon is a wild animal.

You have to accept the fact that his home is the streets, and always will be.

He will never be a cuddly indoor lap cat.

The time to try and get a feral off the street, and in to homes and have them become a house cat, is when they are kittens.

He's well past that age.

Good luck!

@Anonymous032819   I tried this method first, but the cat was too smart to go inside.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Here in my city there is a subdivision where feral cats have been allowed to roam free and multiply without being bothered by animal control people. If you live there and get caught messing with the cats then you will be fined by the city. Honestly, I think people are turning a blind eye when people do mess with those cats. They are fed up.  I can't remember the name of that program but it started way back in the 1940s as a means to control the high numbers of mice in the area. Today the program is still in existence even though there is no mice problem and now the area is overrun with cats. My friend lives in that area and has had her vegetable garden ruined with cat poop several years running. She finally had to build a greenhouse to keep the cats out. It's a serious health problem having all those cats around. I don't have a solution for that one. 

@SilleeMee   How is it a health hazzard?  People cannot contract any disease from a cat or dog, to my knowledge, and if a cat becomes diseased, it will eventually go off somewhere to die.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl 

Cat feces carry parasites and infectious bacteria.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@mousiegirl 

@SilleeMee   One would have to handle it and get it into the mouth or eyes, doubt this ever happens unless a tiny child had access to it.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@mousiegirl 

@SilleeMee   One would have to handle it and get it into the mouth or eyes, doubt this ever happens unless a tiny child had access to it.

If cats poop in your vegetable garden then the garden is ruined and you cannot eat anything that comes out of it. Gardening in general is compromised when cat poop is there. Where my friend lives there is a really bad problem with cat poo everywhere and people there cannot have a garden unless it's inside a greenhouse. People there cannot use leaf blowers either because it causes stuff from the ground to become airborne and potentially infectious that way.@mousiegirl 

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@mousiegirl 

Transmission of Zoonotic Diseases

The zoonotic diseases may be transmitted through cat saliva, feces or other body fluids. The diseases may also be transmitted through contact with water, food or food bowls and bedding of an infected cat. Other diseases may be transmitted through fleas and ticks.

Humans with a weaker immune system, children and patients under chemotherapy are more exposed to contracting a zoonotic disease.

Excerpted from:  vetinfo.com/cat-diseases-that-humans-can-get.html

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Retired Legal;

Do not waste your time and effort calling around - shelters will make every excuse in the book NOT to help with ferals (he sounds more feral than stray...or maybe he's just not fixed).

Trap him and BRING HIM to a shelter - give them a 25 dollar donation and be done with it.

You won't be turned away at the desk - they will reluctantly take in your animal.

3 years ago I trapped (humane cat trap) 13 strays that I fed and cared for - because the neighbor's were threatening to harm them. 

I'd not be held back if ANYONE harmed them...so to keep the neighbors safe from me - I trapped all of them and brought them - 2 or 3 at a time, to Morris Animal Refuge in Philly.

I donated with each "delivery" and even brought the shelter supplies such as fans, old blankets, unused comforter bedding and bags of food.

They RELUCTANTLY took all of the cats along with happily taking my supplies.

I did not really give them a choice....I knew had I called first I'dve been turned away. 

Good luck with your efforts.