Respected Contributor

Re: No need to wipe down food or packages according to FDA....

I just saw an interview with a doctor on CNN that he wipes down everything that comes into the house.  I will also continue to do this.

Trusted Contributor

For those of you who saw the viral video by the doctor who instructs how to wash produce with soap he has supposedly amended the video after his method was disputed by others, FYI here is an article/video that talks about the danger of cleaning your produce with soap or dilute bleach or anything other than water.

https://www.livescience.com/do-not-wash-fruits-vegetables-with-soap.html

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

For those of you who saw the viral video by the doctor who instructs how to wash produce with soap he has supposedly amended the video after his method was disputed by others, FYI here is an article/video that talks about the danger of cleaning your produce with soap or dilute bleach or anything other than water.

https://www.livescience.com/do-not-wash-fruits-vegetables-with-soap.html

I have always washed certain produce with soap. Just the same liquid hand soap that I use at the kitchen sink for hand washing. 

I only use it on things like apples, tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, citrus etc. Things that I can wash quickly rinse well and dry. I don't do that with things like strawberries (or any berries for that matter), lettuce etc. I don't leave soaped produce sit and I have a real issue with rinsing things. I don't think people in general rinse their washed hands well or long enough, or hand washed dishes so I tend to be a long rinser! 

Covid aside, other viruses and bacteria are always present in our environment and thoroughly cleaning things we put in our mouth just makes sense to me. I will continue to soap wash much of my produce, like I've done for decades. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It seems everything that has been said has been changed at least once.  You have to rely on your own judgement and go with it.  I haven't wiped down groceries and don't think that will change.  

Respected Contributor

I, too, wish there was one voice we could trust!  As it is, I also pick and choose the practices that make sense to my family and to me.  As an asthmatic, I have to take precautions that maybe some don't or won't. I last bought groceries March 24 and won't need to buy more until the end of May.  I menu planned breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks for 8 weeks.  That being said, I will eventually have to get out.  I will wear a mask and wipe down cold/frozen items, since they have to be put up immediately.  Everything else will stay out in the garage for 3 days, and then I'll put them up.  

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

The article says they don’t know if it can be transmitted this way so go ahead and skip precautions. So what about next week when they guess something different...

Esteemed Contributor

Well, since they qualified it with "to our knowledge" it's a cinch right????

Honored Contributor

I'm going to continue to wipe down food and packages.  

The thought of how many people have touched that before me kind of grosses me out.  

Honored Contributor

i have not been wiping down food or packages or mail.

i HAVE been washing my hands well after opening items and putting them away.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I don't want to be the first person to get the virus from packaging; not a distinction I want to have.