Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Buy from your local farmers. I haven't bought any of my produce, fruit, meat , pork or chicken from a grocery store in many, many years! There's never a shortage and its nothing but PURE food. Do a little research and take a visit to your locals, help the little guy while you're at it. 

You do know that there are many people in this country who don't have local farms or farmers or have no way to access them if they do? Do a little research?- that's rather insulting.

The entire premise of this post, that there isn't a shortage where the OP shops (in NYC)-same thing applies. In this country of all places, you cannot have what ends up being a myopic view. I don't mean that as an insult, it just is myopic to assume that everyone's situation is like yours. In a huge country, with countless variable factors.

@Greeneyedlady21  Agree... We're all having different experiences now days and it seems that months into this no one is making any effort at all to coordinate the availability of food and other essentials, so that some areas have more than they need and other areas have far less than they need... And I'm sorry, but while all perspectives and ideas are welcome, the notion of going in with a slew of others to purchase livestock and arrange for its slaughter and distribution is, for me, just not a practical solution... More to the point, if some authority had been created to manage this situation at all competently it would be completely unnecessary... I'd add that along with not chastising each other for sharing ideas goes the concept of not passing judgment on those who might have just about had enough of all this and are saying so, by assigning them value-loaded labels like 'whiners'...

Practical (translated often as 'easy') isn't getting meat in many people's freezer. Sometimes because we didn't think ahead, anticipate a situation, or plan for it, we are stuck with solutions that are less than easy or practical. It's really not hard to find people to split whole livestock with. Facebook is full of groups that share how to do it, and with posts on local FB sites from farmers who can hook you up with a half or quarter as there are others that want less than a full head. They have all the answers as to cost, processing, date for pickup etc. You pretty much just have to commit to showing up at the specified time and place for pickup. It's just like warehouse shopping, if the package is too big, you split it with your mom, your neighbor etc. 

I'm not really into 'an authority created to manage this situation'. It would be some federal government agency already in existence, or thrown together, and be less than effective. 

The best solutions come local, from the people on the front lines of production of food, and those consuming it. It needs to be looked at on a more local level first and foremost, to cut out so many hands in the pockets making it more expensive and more complicated and slow. It would solve local issues in supply chain (for food anyway), which are quite obviously different in different areas.

And windy terms like 'value loaded labels' is just another form of whining. If one has had enough, it might be better to stop being part of the problem and start being more of the solution, or sit it out. We can be as tired of the quantity of posts, the speculation, the topics, and the 'not for me' solutions offered as we want. It shouldn't stop others from sharing what they see, know, experience, suggest, tried, hear, read, or thought of.

There are forums on here that I used to like to participate on, but the majority of the posts on them are now boring to me and not what I want to see the forum focused on. But others seem to respond and enjoy the way it has gone. My solution is to scroll on by what I know I'm not liking or what I'm tired of seeing in that particular forum and respond where I do have interest. It really isn't all that complicated.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  You'd probably get arrested for fishing the Riverwalk and even if you didn't one feels certain the fish would be filled with something nasty... As for canning one's own meat, oh for heaven's sake... There's just no way... Here's the thing... All ideas and suggestions are valid, but only for some people... For others, they make no sense at all and as I keep saying, if this thing was being at all competently managed none of the above would be necessary... There might be some short-term shortages, but grocery store shelves and freezers would not sit empty for weeks and weeks and weeks, the toilet paper aisle would be reasonably stocked by now and meat would generally be available... This is nuts...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I went to my local Trader Joe's this past Tuesday.  I go during their senior hour.  The meats were fully stocked and I saw no limitations on quantity you can purchase.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Buy from your local farmers. I haven't bought any of my produce, fruit, meat , pork or chicken from a grocery store in many, many years! There's never a shortage and its nothing but PURE food. Do a little research and take a visit to your locals, help the little guy while you're at it. 

You do know that there are many people in this country who don't have local farms or farmers or have no way to access them if they do? Do a little research?- that's rather insulting.

The entire premise of this post, that there isn't a shortage where the OP shops (in NYC)-same thing applies. In this country of all places, you cannot have what ends up being a myopic view. I don't mean that as an insult, it just is myopic to assume that everyone's situation is like yours. In a huge country, with countless variable factors.

@Greeneyedlady21  Agree... We're all having different experiences now days and it seems that months into this no one is making any effort at all to coordinate the availability of food and other essentials, so that some areas have more than they need and other areas have far less than they need... And I'm sorry, but while all perspectives and ideas are welcome, the notion of going in with a slew of others to purchase livestock and arrange for its slaughter and distribution is, for me, just not a practical solution... More to the point, if some authority had been created to manage this situation at all competently it would be completely unnecessary... I'd add that along with not chastising each other for sharing ideas goes the concept of not passing judgment on those who might have just about had enough of all this and are saying so, by assigning them value-loaded labels like 'whiners'...

Practical (translated often as 'easy') isn't getting meat in many people's freezer. Sometimes because we didn't think ahead, anticipate a situation, or plan for it, we are stuck with solutions that are less than easy or practical. It's really not hard to find people to split whole livestock with. Facebook is full of groups that share how to do it, and with posts on local FB sites from farmers who can hook you up with a half or quarter as there are others that want less than a full head. They have all the answers as to cost, processing, date for pickup etc. You pretty much just have to commit to showing up at the specified time and place for pickup. It's just like warehouse shopping, if the package is too big, you split it with your mom, your neighbor etc. 

I'm not really into 'an authority created to manage this situation'. It would be some federal government agency already in existence, or thrown together, and be less than effective. 

The best solutions come local, from the people on the front lines of production of food, and those consuming it. It needs to be looked at on a more local level first and foremost, to cut out so many hands in the pockets making it more expensive and more complicated and slow. It would solve local issues in supply chain (for food anyway), which are quite obviously different in different areas.

And windy terms like 'value loaded labels' is just another form of whining. If one has had enough, it might be better to stop being part of the problem and start being more of the solution, or sit it out. We can be as tired of the quantity of posts, the speculation, the topics, and the 'not for me' solutions offered as we want. It shouldn't stop others from sharing what they see, know, experience, suggest, tried, hear, read, or thought of.

There are forums on here that I used to like to participate on, but the majority of the posts on them are now boring to me and not what I want to see the forum focused on. But others seem to respond and enjoy the way it has gone. My solution is to scroll on by what I know I'm not liking or what I'm tired of seeing in that particular forum and respond where I do have interest. It really isn't all that complicated.

Yes, well, speaking of windy... I guess we're all guilty of that at one time or another... And we certainly agree on each of our individual capacities to post, as we wish, all those thoughts, suggestions, experiences, and so on, ad nausesam... and to discern, again individually, those comments, suggestions and so on we value and those we don't... Related though, we each also get to express our opinions of those very same comments, suggestions, experiences, posts and threads, just as you have done and I have done... And no, it isn't all that complicated... All that said, and in keeping with this whole agreed upon freedom of expression mantra, I'll 'whine' if I want to... As far as I'm concerned, past a point, the whole stiff upper lip thing is vastly over-rated...

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  In keeping with the whole canning meat thing... perhaps we could go in together and buy a forest... A forest full of trees, and then, see, we invest in whatever equipment is necessary to convert those trees into toilet paper... Think of it... We could be rolling in it...

Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

This whole thing with the meatpacking industry makes me furious.  Some of these big plants have thousands of workers.  They are being forced to work with no guarantee of safety/protection at work and it's been fixed so they can't sue if they get sick.

If the plants prove a "good faith" effort to protect the workers good,if you can't, oh well.

If they tested all the workers it would be a start. If 100 out of 4000 tested positive, keep them home until they recover, so the remaining can keep working. No they let 100 become hundreds infected and then wonder why there are some shortages.  It's not rocket science.

That doesn't take into account all the workers going home sick and spreading it further.

But hey, the fat cat owners are what's important.  Why worry about the guys doing the actual work?

Honored Contributor

Re: No meat shortage

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  You'd probably get arrested for fishing the Riverwalk and even if you didn't one feels certain the fish would be filled with something nasty... As for canning one's own meat, oh for heaven's sake... There's just no way... Here's the thing... All ideas and suggestions are valid, but only for some people... For others, they make no sense at all and as I keep saying, if this thing was being at all competently managed none of the above would be necessary... There might be some short-term shortages, but grocery store shelves and freezers would not sit empty for weeks and weeks and weeks, the toilet paper aisle would be reasonably stocked by now and meat would generally be available... This is nuts...

@stevieb 

Well, with our tourist industry taking a major hit, the Riverwalk would be pretty deserted so I think law enforcement would be scarce as they turn their attention to more important duties like arresting folks playing a pick-up basketball game at a park.....or someone not wearing a mask in a grocery store....  But yep, the fish might be pretty unhealthy and unappetizing...and BTW what wine does one serve with Sunfish....??????

When you live in a large metropolitan area instead of a rural area serviced by local farmers/ranchers....options are very limited....Even ordering mail order food isnt a good idea because with temperatures here in the upper 80's to 90's there's no assurance that the dry ice won't melt by the time it arrives at the door....

Sadly, there's not a major task force in place to assure that all areas of the country receive adequate food supplies.... that would require putting aside local interests for the common good....not much of a chance for that happening......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Have D'Agonstino's send their email to Giant, because I'm telling you, they are definitely having a meat shortage, along with a shortage of pretty much everything else... Looks like this is going to be another localized problem and it appears, once again, my region drew the short straw...

@steviebsame here.  I shopped Sunday and things were fine but someone I know went last night and said major shortage, price increases and limits.  Of course there is nothing to prevent someone from going today and buying the limit, going back tomorrow and buying the limit and on and on.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  In keeping with the whole canning meat thing... perhaps we could go in together and buy a forest... A forest full of trees, and then, see, we invest in whatever equipment is necessary to convert those trees into toilet paper... Think of it... We could be rolling in it...

Woman Very Happy

@stevieb 

Why yes, excellent idea!....we could make an arrangement with a Forester in the great northwest.....then all we would need is the equipment and WALLAH!!!!---we could once again "enjoy the go".....Woman WinkWoman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: No meat shortage

[ Edited ]

@mspatmac 

Same here with cleaning supplies at the supermarket.

We have an Ace Hardware just around the corner and I needed some lightbulbs - browsed around the store ... they were well-stocked with EVERYTHING I needed (cleaning supplies), and stuff I didn't need, but bought anyway!

---------------------------------------------

@mspatmac wrote:

I did grocery pick up today and got chicken, ground beef and lamb chops.  Cleaning products are in very very short supply.