Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 

You're right about large families and charitable organizations. Of course they have greater needs than the rest of us but their shopping habits are like that all the time. I have a friend who has 12 chilcren and although the older ones don't live at home anymore they still have quite a family to feed. Her husband is the Rabbi at the synagogue I attend and they often give luncheons and dinners at the holidays for the members of the congregation so, yes, they buy a lot of food. These types of shoppers usually buy from places like BJ's and Costco anyway because they have to buy in bulk. They are not the ones hoarding because if they were, there would be shortages all the time, not just during a crisis. Hoarders know who they are.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Buy from your local farmers. I haven't bought any of my produce, fruit, meat , pork or chicken from a grocery store in many, many years! There's never a shortage and its nothing but PURE food. Do a little research and take a visit to your locals, help the little guy while you're at it. 

You do know that there are many people in this country who don't have local farms or farmers or have no way to access them if they do? Do a little research?- that's rather insulting.

The entire premise of this post, that there isn't a shortage where the OP shops (in NYC)-same thing applies. In this country of all places, you cannot have what ends up being a myopic view. I don't mean that as an insult, it just is myopic to assume that everyone's situation is like yours. In a huge country, with countless variable factors.

@Greeneyedlady21  Agree... We're all having different experiences now days and it seems that months into this no one is making any effort at all to coordinate the availability of food and other essentials, so that some areas have more than they need and other areas have far less than they need... And I'm sorry, but while all perspectives and ideas are welcome, the notion of going in with a slew of others to purchase livestock and arrange for its slaughter and distribution is, for me, just not a practical solution... More to the point, if some authority had been created to manage this situation at all competently it would be completely unnecessary... I'd add that along with not chastising each other for sharing ideas goes the concept of not passing judgment on those who might have just about had enough of all this and are saying so, by assigning them value-loaded labels like 'whiners'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Buy from your local farmers. I haven't bought any of my produce, fruit, meat , pork or chicken from a grocery store in many, many years! There's never a shortage and its nothing but PURE food. Do a little research and take a visit to your locals, help the little guy while you're at it. 

That's fine... When someone can locate a local farmer in the middle of east coast urban and suburban sprawl please let me know and I'll be happy to help the little guy...

Check out your local farmer's markets. I'm in NYC and that's where I buy all my beeef and pork.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: No meat shortage

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

You do know that there are many people in this country who don't have local farms or farmers or have no way to access them if they do? Do a little research?- that's rather insulting.

The entire premise of this post, that there isn't a shortage where the OP shops (in NYC)-same thing applies. In this country of all places, you cannot have what ends up being a myopic view. I don't mean that as an insult, it just is myopic to assume that everyone's situation is like yours. In a huge country, with countless variable factors.

@Greeneyedlady21  Agree... We're all having different experiences now days and it seems that months into this no one is making any effort at all to coordinate the availability of food and other essentials, so that some areas have more than they need and other areas have far less than they need... And I'm sorry, but while all perspectives and ideas are welcome, the notion of going in with a slew of others to purchase livestock and arrange for its slaughter and distribution is, for me, just not a practical solution... More to the point, if some authority had been created to manage this situation at all competently it would be completely unnecessary... I'd add that along with not chastising each other for sharing ideas goes the concept of not passing judgment on those who might have just about had enough of all this and are saying so, by assigning them value-loaded labels like 'whiners'...

@stevieb  Not everyone lives in a house with multiple refrigerators, freezers and cabinets. Many live in small apartments. Where would you keep all these extra foodstuffs? Everyone does what they have to do with what they have at home to store and what is available in their area. And taking a two hundred mile trip with no rest rooms open in our states is impossible. 

Totally agree with you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@stevieb 

Beautifully said! Thank you for expressing what so many of us feel......and thats all I better say ..... although buying a share of a cow or a pig calls to mind an I Love Lucy episode and that makes me smile.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@stevieb  Not everyone lives in a house with multiple refrigerators, freezers and cabinets. Many live in small apartments. Where would you keep all these extra foodstuffs? Everyone does what they have to do with what they have at home to store and what is available in their area. And taking a two hundred mile trip with no rest rooms open in our states is impossible. 

@proudlyfromNJ  I completley agree... I have one refigerator with a freezer and it's not a particularly large one... I have no capacity to add to it nor to obtain, at present, a larger model... Even if I could, it appears the most I could hope for right now is they'd leave the new fridge at my front door and it would be up to me to get it into my kitchen and get my old one out... Smiley Very Happy I'd add that I am completley fed up witht this supposed 'new normal' and if that makes me a 'whiner' then so the hell be it... Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@stevieb 

Beautifully said! Thank you for expressing what so many of us feel......and thats all I better say ..... although buying a share of a cow or a pig calls to mind an I Love Lucy episode and that makes me smile.....

@Spurt  A great episode...

I Love Lucy: The Freezer

The Freezer | I Love Lucy Wiki | Fandom

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  I completley agree... I have one refigerator with a freezer and it's not a particularly large one... I have no capacity to add to it nor to obtain, at present, a larger model... Even if I could, it appears the most I could hope for right now is they'd leave the new fridge at my front door and it would be up to me to get it into my kitchen and get my old one out... Smiley Very Happy I'd add that I am completley fed up witht this supposed 'new normal' and if that makes me a 'whiner' then so the hell be it... Smiley Surprised

@stevieb  @proudlyfromNJ 

When I brought up limited space, I was told to can my own meat but still there's the problem of storing not only the canned meat, but the meat canning equipment as well....that is if you can find meat in the first place---and buying livestock is not an option for me either....The only thing canned in my future, is tuna, and even thats limited....but I guess I can buy a fishing pole and go down to the Riverwalk and hope for the best...... Smiley Wink 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@stevieb 

@Spurt  A great episode...

I Love Lucy: The Freezer

The Freezer | I Love Lucy Wiki | Fandom

@stevieb 

One of my favorite episodes.... Woman LOL Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@stevieb  @proudlyfromNJ 

When I brought up limited space, I was told to can my own meat but still there's the problem of storing not only the canned meat, but the meat canning equipment as well....that is if you can find meat in the first place---and buying livestock is not an option for me either....The only thing canned in my future, is tuna, and even thats limited....but I guess I can buy a fishing pole and go down to the Riverwalk and hope for the best...... Smiley Wink 

@Spurt  Exactly. I would make do with fish or just vegetables and fruit etc. We don't need meat to survive.