Respected Contributor

No matter how smart you are, beware email scam !!!

One of my college friends who does a lot of international travel sent me an email and asked me to do a favor for her as her close friend was just diagnosed with liver cancer.  My friend has had several major health issues in the last few years and getting around has become difficult. So I did.

After I emailed the 3 Apple gift cards "she" requested and the back of the cards, she sent me an email saying I now could send the cards. What ????   Then I noticed that the time was " GMT+1 ".  After Googling, it translated to 11 PM Europe time.  The next email asked for $500 gift card and that is when I called her.  She was hacked today and was starting to get calls from folks in her contacts list.

Within the hour that I sent the card info to "her" the cards had been used....Apple will close the account that used the cards but that's all they could do.  I contacted VISA and I have to call back mid-week when the charge is posted to dispute the charge.

Sharing this so others do not get taken in.  I have read all about the Grandparent scam and others but the elements contained in the email tracked with my friend's disabilities, her concern for friends, etc.  Since she does travel and receives physical therapy, not being available by phone for a few hours wasn't suspicious.

As for the liver cancer item, I was very vulnerable as a close friend of mine was diagnosed on Monday with it.

ANY request that isn't "normal" should be regarded as potential scam.  Please be smarter than I was !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: No matter how smart you are, beware email scam !!!

I would have called her first

Esteemed Contributor

It's always good to be reminded about scams. I would be suspicious of request for a gift card, no matter who was asking. That is usually a red flag. 

I hope that everything works out for you and that this doesn't happen in the future. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Thank you for the warning. I am sorry you are having to deal with this scam. Here's to a speedy resolution and good wishes to both your friends.

Trusted Contributor

What a horrible reward for doing something for a good friend. I'm so sorry but really appreciate you protecting the rest of us.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

Nice reminder and nobody knows exactly what they would do if they were under stress from something else, you just never know you could be vulnerable as you get older or have an illness etc.  Great to be reminded for sure.

Trusted Contributor

Never "pay" anyone with a gift card.

https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/gift-card-scams

Honored Contributor

@jlkz   I would have emailed this "friend"  back asking why she couldn't go online herself to purchase the Apple gift cards.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Every few weeks I get emails asking me to verify account information for credit cards or bank accounts.They look so real!  I always forward them to my son.He checks them out & except for one time, has told me to "ignore & delete".

It's really annoying that I have to screen my phone calls & emails before I respond. A few weeks ago, I answered the phone thinking it was a call I was expecting. A young man on the other end called me mom & referred to himself as my son. I immediately hung up & texted my real son. I asked him if he had just called & if he was ok.He said he was fine & no he didn't call me.

Respected Contributor

Always physically call the person who you think is asking for money or gift cards. Never send anyone anything without YOU calling the person and getting all the information. These people are very savvy, now they are putting people's voices on a call and you think you are talking to the person that is why you should always make a follow up phone call.