Honored Contributor

Re: No love for the gators ?

I noticed the difference as soon as the killing of the other gators were reported.

I also realize that Floridians know what is what but the average tourist does not.  Disney World is so lacking in their duties to the public.

I lived for 18 years not on the water but just down from the lake here in East Texas and we always knew to look out for water moccasins in our yards. 

When I moved to Whitney Texas for two years I had rattle snakes sunning themselves in my back yard by the pool.  My eyes spent more time watching my footsteps than anything else during that time.  So regionally there are predators everywhere and it is up to the businesses and residents to inform visitors. 

Paint a sign save a life!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

My husband heard a cast member being interviewed on tv, and no I don't know which station, just from his mouth... that after dark Disney turns into Jurassic Park..  I can promise when we go back down, our antennae will be more alert..  I kiddingly ask him, "Wonder if they'd give us our money back for being passholders." 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

CONFESSION:

I was the other kind of parent people love to hate, the dreaded Helicopter Parent.

I went to all the teacher conferences, was often the room parent, volunteered to be in charge of Scholastic books, started a Brownie group and a church youth group.

I had a really active and curious kid who was always getting banged up one way or another.  She trained me never to let her out of my sight.

There's no way to win, folks.  As parents, there are always those who will tell us we're doing it all wrong, especially those who don't have a clue what it takes to raise or teach a child.  Yet somehow, we manage to send a wonderful person out into the world, smart, successful and compassionate.

Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

My husband heard a cast member being interviewed on tv, and no I don't know which station, just from his mouth... that after dark Disney turns into Jurassic Park..  I can promise when we go back down, our antennae will be more alert..  I kiddingly ask him, "Wonder if they'd give us our money back for being passholders." 

Hi @Suziepeach

Wow, that's powerful!

Respected Contributor

Preventable loss vs  Could have happened to anyone   

While both are tragic, I see a major difference in the stories. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Having lived in a land-locked state all of my life, I never had any reason to know the stalking habits of alligators.  I'm sure things would have been different had these parents known alligators hunt at night & will come up on shore if/when they sense potential prey nearby.

I really don't see how this situation can fairly be compared with the gorilla situation, though I do think the news & social media went way overboard about it.  They aren't making such a stink about the FL situation because that one ended tragically, whereas the "gorilla boy" was safely returned to his family.

Respected Contributor

When we were in Tuscon a couple years' ago, I would take my daily walk along the trails in the resort.  The trails mostly followed the golf course and the perimeter of the resort. 

There were signs posted all along the trails that "you were entering the natural habitat of dangerous snakes, bugs, and other various animals that may be dangerous.".

One day I encountered a javelina.  I had no idea what that was.  When I got back to the hotel the valet asked me how my walk was.  I told him I saw "a hairy pig.".  He told me what it was and said they're usually up higher into the mountains.  He told me to be careful.  I didn't walk on the trails after that.  LOL.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7, yes ma'am that's powerful.  Husband and I were talking last night since we stay at Fort Wilderness in a cabin, we are extrememly aware of our surroundings, especially on the ground and in the woods when we come in late at night & park the golf cart.  I have to say and this is purely my opinion.. if anyone were to see all the expanse woods, swamps, marshes, water, and etc around DisneyWorld you'd have to wonder about things that are drawn to that environment..  Disney knew about the gators and let it get way out of hand, I say start all over and make it more guest friendly...

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@DoneTryin wrote:

Having lived in a land-locked state all of my life, I never had any reason to know the stalking habits of alligators.  I'm sure things would have been different had these parents known alligators hunt at night & will come up on shore if/when they sense potential prey nearby.

I really don't see how this situation can fairly be compared with the gorilla situation, though I do think the news & social media went way overboard about it.  They aren't making such a stink about the FL situation because that one ended tragically, whereas the "gorilla boy" was safely returned to his family.

I think part of the equation is that this time those who jumped all over the parents found out how wrong they were in their early attacks.  Most importantly that other children had been in the same danger and reported it, and Disney did nothing, not even adequate signage.

And that even a staff member had told the PTB how dangerous that lagoon was and that it should be fenced in some way.