Valued Contributor

Re: No love for the gators ?

I think the events are very different.  Being from the midwest it would never occur to me that an alligator would be lurking to snatch a child at a Disney world resort.  Children run and play along a beach and its not even really swimming and the parents were right there.  People also feel differenly about reptiles than they do about apes or monkeys.  I think each one is a tragedy and I do not blame the parents.  Its easy to be diverted by something even at a zoo and an active toddler then gets into trouble.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I saw the difference but it would seem that in the case of the gorilla he was in a cage for a reason.  His space is not to be invaded by the fact there is a separation and it is a zoo.  No one would think to question that the animals in a cage would be safe for anyone to engage.  Don't really need a sign..DON'T GO INTO THE CAGE. UNDERSTOOD!!!

In the case of the alligator, this was a resort.  The family was not from the area, not aware or even made aware why there was a no swimming sign.  They were on the beach within a few feet of an uncaged CREATURE  that was free to roam at will.  The whole set up, atmosphere, was inviting.  Who would know that an alligator would venture into fun spot with human activity.  

I am araid of water.  I never would have gotten close.  But families are programmed to think that Disney is magical. and this vacation was something they were excited about.  Who would think anything like this would happen at DISNEY!

Perception and lack of caution at Disney.  And poor judgment at the Zoo which is more likely to look like deglect.  

Tragedy all around.

You said it best.  This family was not from the area and had no idea there were gators who were a threat, even in very shallow water.  There were some prior incidences at Disney with gators, and I feel Disney was neglectful in not making this danger well known.  And the feeding of gators by some folks must stop.  The death of this tiny child is a true tragedy and, no, in no way do I blame the parents.  Don't you feel they have suffered enough?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see any comparisons at all.  One was a child climbing OVER a fence, through bushes and then fell into the enclosure, no parent within reach. 

The WDW incident was a child and his family on vacation in a fantasy world, innocently standing in a few inches of water with his father, and an alligator whips up and grabs him.

Honored Contributor

As someone said on TV yesterday...we relax at Disney because its such a contained area that our instincts might be down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

The water around The Grand Floridian and Conterporary resort is used for many sports while you are at the resort.  Fishing, Seadoo, boarting.  People lay on the beach too.  If this area was so dangerous one would think this would be off limits, don't you think?  First photo is off the deck from the Contemporary looking at the Grand Floridian.gf.jpg

Respected Contributor

jetski2.jpgwater sports there.jetski.jpg

Respected Contributor

The fact that there is a popular History Channel reality show called "Swamp People" that is in its 7th season should be a pretty good indicator about what people think about gators.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

beach at the Contemporary.  Does this look dangerous to you?contemporary.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think they're two completely different scenarios.

A little boy wandered into a cage that that was clearly somewhere where humans shouldn't be.

A little boy was wading in a lagoon with his father standing mere feet from him when an alligator lunged for him and killed him.  They will be returning home as a family of 3.

Respected Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

I think they're two completely different scenarios.

A little boy wandered into a cage that that was clearly somewhere where humans shouldn't be.

A little boy was wading in a lagoon with his father standing mere feet for him when an alligator lunged for him and killed him.  They will be returning home as a family of 3.

Exactly.

I'm befuddled as to why some people dont understand the difference.

In one case a boy was injured but okay.

In the other case a boy is dead.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____