Honored Contributor

Re: No love for the gators ?

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Is it any wonder people send money to con men, spend hundreds on wrinkle cream, and marry liars when they put their trust and safety in a for profit company that has every reason in the world to reasure them aka con them. It's one thing to blindly trust when all you have to lose is money but not when it's your life or the life of someone you are meant to protect.

If I followed your logic...I would never have the time or will to leave the house...heck I might be afraid a tree would fall on the house, or a burgler, or a house fire....or.........now I am afraid of my house, my neighbors etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't read  all 12  pages of posts so if I'm repeating some points, I am sorry.  Maybe the difference in how the parents were treated  has something to do with the fact that one child  died. I think they are both much the same at the core except  for that.  

Also there is the whole endangered species thing. Gators used to be getting scarce and now they are everywhere in Florida. I just saw pics last night of my friend's canoe afternoon  in Orlando... Gators were in the water. Killing that gorilla had way farther reaching consequences than killing 5 gators. I do appreciate the alligator,and hate to think of it,but overpopulation is  a big issue.  It has to be controlled...humanely. 

On another note, A NO SWIMMING sign, to me, means stay out of this water...period. To others, something different. Growing up, my parents never allowed us to be in any body of water (except pools) at night. They said they couldn't see  what was in the water,etc.   Parents in Disney, the Zoo, the Mall, wherever, have to err on the side of safety and caution. Accidents happen and yes, negligence happens too.  No one is perfect, but these two things were actually avoidable. No judgement,just a fact.

Honored Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

Haven't read  all 12  pages of posts so if I'm repeating some points, I am sorry.  Maybe the difference in how the parents were treated  has something to do with the fact that one child  died. I think they are both much the same at the core except  for that.  

Also there is the whole endangered species thing. Gators used to be getting scarce and now they are everywhere in Florida. I just saw pics last night of my friends canoe afternoon  in Orlando... Gators were in the water. Killing that gorilla had way farther reaching consequences than killing 5 gators. I do appreciate the alligator,and hate to think of it,but overpopulation is  a big issue.  It has to be controlled...humanely. 

On another note, A NO SWIMMING sign, to me, means stay out of this water...period. To others, something different. Growing up, my parents never allowed us to be in any body of water (except pools) at night. They said they couldn't see  what was in the water,etc.   Parents in Disney, the Zoo, the Mall, wherever, have to err on the side of safety and caution. Accidents happen and yes, negligence happens too.  No one is perfect, but these two things were actually avoidable. No judgement,just a fact.

@birkin baby

We were also cautioned by adults that you  NEVER  NEVER  NEVER go into water at night .... other than a swimming pool.     I thought everyone knew that.  Guess not.

Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

Placing responsibility for what happened on a party/parties is not "blaming". Saying that the parents are responsible or that Disney is responsible is not necessarily placing blame (which is assigning a fault or something bad or negative). Again people are confusing two very different concepts.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but placing responsibility is an antecedent of blame.   One does not place responsibility on anything or anyone without the subsequent action or intent to hold something or someone accountable, ie.....blame.  

Some assign responsibility to the parents, others may assign responsibility to  Walt Disney World.  The result then is to blame those they hold accountable for the tragic outcome.   From my perspective, there is no need to even establish responsibility if one is not going to assign accountability to one side or the other(blame).

My post stating that I would not get into the blame game for either the parents or those that captured and killed the alligators up to the point that they did find the little boy is just that. Meaning, I do not assign responsibility for the parents or the fish & wildlife experts that captured and killed the alligators.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wilma

A better enclosure?   Seriously?  

How about a mother that watches her kids?   That child was overheard telling his mother he wanted to go into the gorilla area, yet she didn't tell that kid "NO", or keep an eye on him.   You cannot blame a zoo for bad parenting!   Good grief.    

@Tinkrbl44   This would be in direct contradiction to what eye witnesses reported. The one eyewitness account that heard the little boy saying he wanted to see the gorilla is on record as clearly stating the mother said "No, you're not".  

http://www.people.com/article/harambe-gorilla-drags-4-year-old-witness-account

Another eye witness describes the mother looking for her son, saying he was just here with his hand in her pocket while she took a picture & then he was gone.  This witness stated the child was moving fast & that neither she nor her husband could get to the child quickly enough even though they were right there and trying to get to the child. 

http://www.foreverymom.com/witness-to-cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-death-it-wasnt-the-parents-fault/

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wilma

A better enclosure?   Seriously?  

How about a mother that watches her kids?   That child was overheard telling his mother he wanted to go into the gorilla area, yet she didn't tell that kid "NO", or keep an eye on him.   You cannot blame a zoo for bad parenting!   Good grief.    

@Tinkrbl44   This would be in direct contradiction to what eye witnesses reported. The one eyewitness account that heard the little boy saying he wanted to see the gorilla is on record as clearly stating the mother said "No, you're not".  

http://www.people.com/article/harambe-gorilla-drags-4-year-old-witness-account

Another eye witness describes the mother looking for her son, saying he was just here with his hand in her pocket while she took a picture & then he was gone.  This witness stated the child was moving fast & that neither she nor her husband could get to the child quickly enough even though they were right there and trying to get to the child. 

http://www.foreverymom.com/witness-to-cincinnati-zoo-gorilla-death-it-wasnt-the-parents-fault/

@pitdakota

Okay, this is different from I've previously read.   I also read that the kid's father wasn't even there. Nevertheless. she must have known he doesn't listen to her .... and she let him get away.  The end result is that an endangered species animal is dead due to a woman's inability to control her child.   

Respected Contributor

Time for this thread to just stop.  All the yelling has gotten out of hand.

Super Contributor

I could not agree more.  It is unfortunate that some cannot have a rational and intelligent conversation without having to shout down everyone else or continuously infer that the way they do things is the only way to do things.  It makes me walk away from threads even though I may be interested in the topic.

QVC Customer Care

This thread has been closed for commenting because it is going off topic and getting heated