Honored Contributor

Re: No love for the gators ?

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Heard CNN a few days ago report that people need to be aware that Disney World is built around animal habitats and sanctuaries.  Of course one doesn't expect to have such a tragedy occur.  I do feel for the aligator as it is his/her swamp and when do humans think that the animal doesn't have territorial instincts.  I feel for the child and wonder why he wasn't in bed at 9:15 at night and not watched more closely.  The gorilla also was where it was designated to be - where were the parents?

@Puzzle Piece

It wasn't a swamp, it was a man-made lagoon/lake for the resort and families were encouraged to be there, including for sports activities.  WATER activities.  All the while never being told Disney knew that water had gators.

What were they doing there?  It was family movie night, outside, right there nearby.

Maybe I can answer! You are on vacation in a wonderland which makes you feel like you can take a breath...have fun with the family and feel safe. No one feels 100% safe any where... but of all places... Disney is a place you feel you are able to go and feel protected. We took our children there...at that same location...one of our girls was the same age. We allowed them to stay up late because that is when the fireworks go off! The beach is beautiful...manicured with lovely chairs and I can say...alligators never entered my mind...we sat right there on the sand and gave our children a wonderful experience watching all the sights and sounds of flashing lights.  I guess we thought a beach at Disney would be safe from alligators because security... we thought... were taken so seriously that they would not have a beach were alligators have the ability to snatch a child. I and all now know because of this horrible incident that is not true. Hind sight is 20/20.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Trusted Contributor

To the original point, I don't think the alligators deserve sympathy in this situation.  This was a man-made lake on a private property, not a sanctuary.  Just because they are indigenous to the area doesn't mean they were supposed to be on that property.  If you think they were supposed to be there, then you also must feel it's cool to have rattlesnakes in your bed or a black bear in your nursery.  

Honored Contributor

I am shocked by the pictures of the Sea-doo's on that water...were they rented to the people riding them in those waters by Disney?Smiley Surprised

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

@croemer wrote:

I have not read back but I think the difference is a Gorilla is capable of love...an alligator is just a predator. A Gorilla shares about 98% of our DNA. A Gorilla is endangered...alligators are now not endangered.

@croemer- you hit the nail on the head.  A gorilla has human traits and actually showed concern for the child, I believe.  The correct call was made because the child experienced being dragged over rocks etc., the gorilla was agitated by the crowd, confused and could have hurt the child....but, the animal was beautiful with very human like facial expressions/movements.  An alligator looks prehistoric, not very pretty and a predator and doesn't  generate the same response...but, they have a purpose and deserve to live and we have  encroached upon their space.  The recent thought has been that this was a female gator protecting her eggs and just wanted to get what she perceived as a threat away from her nest.  Thus, the child was intact....a tragic story all around

Respected Contributor

The lagoons were primarily built as a water source in case of fire, a method of moving their boats through the property, and as lovely scenery.

Wildlife do not respect property rights.  It is up to WDW to protect the people from potential dangers on their property.

To the person who said there are "enormous pythons everywhere," not true.  There are some pythons in the Everglades (southern Fl.) placed there by irresponsible exotic pet owners.

Esteemed Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

Wading and swimming are not interchangeable words.

I don't understand why people believe wading = swimming.

Wading is not swimming.

images.jpg

Stupidity!  That's why they don't understand the difference.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Anita Hug

THANK YOU .... for stating what should be obvious.  

I also don't understand why people don't realize that No Swimming  means  Stay Out of the ****** Water, You Morons!   

(Sorry, but I have little patience for those lacking common sense.)

Sorry but lacking patience does not give one the liberty to be insulting. You can state a strong opinion yet refrain from name calling.

And you are inferring that no swimming means stay out of the water. No swimming means exactly what it says. Nothing more, nothing less. Anything beyond that (e.g. don't go into the water) is interpretation.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

I am shocked by the pictures of the Sea-doo's on that water...were they rented to the people riding them in those waters by Disney?Smiley Surprised

@croemer, I don't believe WDW has sea-doos... they have pontoons, mini boats, parasailing and bass boats.. we've been going for many years and haven't seen the first sea-doo...  they do in California, I looked that up..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Timey Wimey wrote:

True. But how would they assure that there are no gators (or snakes) anywhere on their property unless put gator and snake proof fences and gates around and in every body of water, and close the many vast waterways that meander all through all of the Disney properties?  The wildlife was there long before Walt Disney was born.

They are putting up new signs, and perhaps the old signs should have said "do not go in the water" instead of "no swimming".  But people will still ignore the signs even after they add wanings about alligators.

Just like people jump in the waves, even bringing their children out, when they have the red or purple danger flags out for rip tides or sharks, etc. There are always people who ignore the signs.

I'm not blaming the parents here, but I don't blame Disney either. I'm just saying that there appears to be a lack of common sense on all sides of this (and all similar) tragedies. 

That's exactly what they should have done, their staff asked for gator proof fencing.

I can't speak for all their water areas, but the one in question was man-made, not where gators had previously frolicked.

Honored Contributor

Hi LR Smiley Happy

Disney knew about the gators.  Staff members had told the PTB about the problem and asked for fencing.  Nothing was done.

And another problem... a lot of tourists had been feeding the gators which made it worse.  Nothing was done to stop them.