Respected Contributor

@MamaWick   As always, it's wonderful to see your pics, especially Cricket.  

I too thought the deer looked rather thin.  Maybe all the building is demolishing their food sources.  I've seen deer feed advertized, but you probably don't want to encourage them.  Additionally with so many in the herd it would be expensive.  Hope they fatten up before the winter.   

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick -

I'm sure by now that you are very good at what to feed deer.

I hadn't noticed how thin until I looked again. There is that disease-wasting disease.

I was amazed at how many articles on what to fee deer, especially what to feed them at each season.

Some looked so complicated, saying they needed different food in fall and winter, than in spring and summer.

And they all acknowledged that it ca get expensive.

I liked this one that was fairly simple.

from wikihow

Image titled Feed Deer Step 2

Method1
Feeding Deer the Proper Food
  1. Image titled Feed Deer Step 1
    Introduce deer to a new diet slowly. It takes deer take 2-4 weeks to adjust to a new diet, so start feeding them gradually. Slowly introducing new types of food into a deer's diet will help their digestive system learn to process it. Deer typically eat woody vegetation that is found in forests, so feeding them foods that are rich in fats and carbohydrates can be extremely harmful.
    • Begin introducing new foods by combining supplemental foods with deer's natural diet. Start by including a small amount of the new food, and gradually incorporate more and more, ultimately replacing their natural diet. In winter, their natural food supply will decrease significantly (if not completely), so it is recommended to begin this transition before winter hits.[1]

2. Image titled Feed Deer Step 2
    Purchase formulated deer food mixes. These mixes can typically be found at feed mills or pet supply stores. Deer feed mixes are usually a mix of alfalfa, oats, soybeans, molasses and several vitamins and minerals. This type of food is easiest for deer to digest, which is what makes it ideal for supplemental feeding.[2]

3. Image titled Feed Deer Step 3
    Feed deer the right foods if you cannot find formulated deer mixture. You must be careful when feeding deer supplemental foods, as they have a sensitive digestive system. If formulated deer food mixtures are unavailable, oats are the next best supplemental food for deer. Oats provide deer with a healthy mixture of fiber and carbohydrates without disrupting their digestive system.[3]
    • A wide variety of fruits and vegetables – including apples, grapes, cherries, pears, carrots, and snap peas – are eaten in nature by deer. Therefore, it is safe to feed deer these fruits.
    • Acorns are another safe food source.[4]

4. Image titled Feed Deer Step 4
    Do not feed deer a corn diet. A deer's digestive system is complex, and corn happens to be one of the worst types of food for them. Unfortunately, many deer end up extremely sick or dead because animal lovers believe that corn is good for deer. When deer are offered a sudden supply of corn, they aren't able to adjust to the high carbohydrate diet, and they end up dying.[5]

5. Image titled Feed Deer Step 5
    Cut down tree branches to feed deer. In nature, deer eat twigs and other natural forest vegetation. To provide them with more of their natural food source, cut down branches that are out of their reach. This is one of the safest and most natural ways to keep deer fed throughout the year.

AD

the winter months, be careful to feed them the proper types of food and slowly introduce it into their diets.
    • Begin introducing food slowly so that it does not harm the deer. Begin combine supplemental food with their natural diet of woody vegetation. This combination of new food into their natural diet will provide a smooth transition for their digestive tracks.
    • Set up feeders or troughs in your yard. Set the feeders or troughs up as far away from your home as possible.
    • If you have the means, you can keep your feeders or troughs full at all times. If not, you should stick to a set feeding time. The deer will become accustomed to eating your food, so try to keep the feeding on a regular schedule. Early morning or sunset are good times for feeding.

1. Image titled Feed Deer Step 7
    Offer supplemental food to deer year round. Many people choose to supply deer with food only during the winter months, as this is when their natural food sources are the most scarce. But if you have the means, consider providing supplemental food to your deer year round. This will allow deer to adapt to the supplemental food so that it doesn't shock their system. This will also teach dear to combine their supplemental and natural food sources.

Do not suddenly stop feeding deer. When deer are fed by humans, they can easily become dependent and stop foraging for food naturally. If you feed deer and then suddenly stop (even if you've simply run out of food temporarily), the deer may go hungry or start bothering you for more food.
    • You should slowly wean deer off of supplemental food so that they can begin foraging for food on their own again. Take the food away slowly and not all at once.[6]

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

The does look about right to me for this time of year.  They're wild animals and won't look like grain fed captive animals.  They stay relatively thin even when healthy.  It's hot and their fawns are growing which always starts to drain any nursing mother.  None look thin to the point of ill health.  They also look like young females, who normally are thinner than older does.

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick  Years ago I lived in these apartments outside of town. Actually the land use to be farm land until it was sold and apartments and houses where built on it. Across from the parking lot was still an empty field where early in the morning you could see a herd of deer grazing. I use to love watching them. It was alovely site.

Honored Contributor

The does are still so sweet.......as is your pup! Smiley Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@on the bay  Thank you for the very informative and interesting post.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet