Esteemed Contributor

Re: No Toilet Paper Again

[ Edited ]

This is disappointing, although not surprising news. The media is always searching for that "big" story; even if they must manipulate reality to do it! 

I do not fault people whoTRULY believe they are doing what is best for their families, by stockpiling. I do however, hold SOME of the media sources accountable for purposeful, exploitation, and nefarious resellers that take advantage of it.😐

It is much more sensible to stay prepared, so you don't have to get prepared.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

If you haven't restocked your supplies good luck doing so between now and Thanksgiving.  Many who are working, take off the entire week and stores are anticipating they will be mobbed and we certainly have seen that aleady.  Shelves completely bare in the paper goods section of Sam's but fully stocked in the meat aisle. 

Honored Contributor

The summer was the time to stock up. I have plenty of paper goods now because it bugged me to have to go into the store to get TP and paper towels this spring. I prefer to get most of my groceries at curbside and only go inside when I choose to.

So I got commercial cases of tp and pt and I am very pleased about it.

I'd also say it's predictable and low effort to blame the messenger. The news couldn't report on empty shelves if there weren't any empty shelves to film and they couldn't quote supply chain spokespeople if the spokespeoply didn't have anything to say about preparing the supply chain.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

It's not a supply chain problem, it's an unreasonable hoarding problem.  And news stations can easily use "empty shelves " tape from the spring.  The media is to blame (in ny view, in my opinion,  based upon my observations,  etc. etc. etc)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

It's not a supply chain problem, it's an unreasonable hoarding problem.  And news stations can easily use "empty shelves " tape from the spring.  The media is to blame (in ny view, in my opinion,  based upon my observations,  etc. etc. etc)

If you think the news is a giant simulation where they fake all their footage, I don't think we can have a sensible good faith discussion about it. There's nothing to discuss. I'll keep enjoying my many sources of information.

It's fine by me if others don't use any outside sources for information, as long as they don't expect to be taken as seriously as those with training and expertise and experience in a particular area, and those who quote and refer to people with training, expertise, and experience.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@FlyersGirl you are correct in stating the media is stirring the pot.  I took this pic yesterday at our local HyVee store.  Utterly disgusting and unnecessary.  

186A65FF-D7A0-4396-9445-4A4CE52C07DC.jpeg

Looks like my local family owned supermarket that I was in a few days ago.

I have plenty of TP but I could use some paper towels.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sure doesn't take much to start the now-tired-old argument over "hoarding vs. stockpiling vs. rational preparedness" --and who or what to blame for starting it all.  

Oh, by all means, let's blame the media for starting everything, as if citizens don't want or need to be informed of what's going on where they live.

LOL!!

Honored Contributor

Newsflash!  If you're in need and your grocery store doesn't have it you might try your local Home Depot.  I was just in mine and they had a couple of pallets of a couple of different brands, one of them being Charmin Ultra Soft.  The packaging looked different, but I'm going by the words.  

I'm with the person who said they were in GA and their Gov. had no plans to start shutting things down.  I'm in AL and I don't think that's going to happen here either.  There's a Cinema right across the street from the Home Depot I went to and it's open.  And while cases are rising, it seems to be moving around the map as to which county is in what risk category, so really nothing to base it on.  

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess 

I noticed earlier this year at one of our local Home Depot stores that they had stacks of paper towels, toilet paper and bottled water, when it was being widely reported that store shelves elsewhere had shortages.

Respected Contributor

I knew it was coming again.  I bought extra 2 weeks ago.