Honored Contributor

Re: No Shoes in the House

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

My mom was Japanese so I was raised with a genkan ...that's a designated place for shoes which was usually near the front or back doors. Street shoes came off there and then house shoes, or slippers, were near by to put on. You can google genkan and see what I mean. Some Japanese houses have quite elaborate genkan areas. It's taken very seriously over there.

@SilleeMee  - My mom was Filipino and it's their custom not to wear shoes in the house.  All shoes are left by the door.  Growing up, no one entering our home ever felt it was rude or impolite - as another poster stated.

Respected Contributor

I can't imagine being so afraid of germs that I would risk embarrassing my guests.  What if one lady hadn't had a pedicure so she wore closed toe shoes to hide that along with her bunion.  Then I ask her to bare her feet to the rest of the guests. Nope.  I will never get that way. I can clean my floors and my guests can maintain their dignity.  

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

We dont wear shoes in the house ever.  I have shoe cubbies in the garage and the mud room.  Everyone take their shoes off there.   I don't want to track outside things into my house.  I have wood floors, but I want all that dirt and grime, not to mention germs in the house.

I don't understand the comment about seeing your doctor.

I also don't understand why a doctor needs to be consulted about removing shoes @Bri369 .

Respected Contributor

I grew up in a no shoe home.

My mother kept a basket of clean tabis by the door for those who didn't want to be barefoot.  

Our home is a no shoe home. I don't ask guests to remove their shoes,but those who are aware see ours by the door and remove theirs.

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

My mom was Japanese so I was raised with a genkan ...that's a designated place for shoes which was usually near the front or back doors. Street shoes came off there and then house shoes, or slippers, were near by to put on. You can google genkan and see what I mean. Some Japanese houses have quite elaborate genkan areas. It's taken very seriously over there.

@SilleeMee  - My mom was Filipino and it's their custom not to wear shoes in the house.  All shoes are left by the door.  Growing up, no one entering our home ever felt it was rude or impolite - as another poster stated.

@San Antonio Gal @SilleeMee 

I was raised in Canada and I never met anyone there who wore shoes in the house. Everyone takes their shoes or boots off at the door and there's usually a mat to put them on. Some people who come to visit will bring some slippers or house shoes in a shoe bag so they can change into them upon entering someone's home. 

It's funny how accepting people are of foreign cultures that don't wear shoes in their homes and have no problem complying with their rules while visiting but can be so critical of the same custom if it's adopted in this country. It was quite an adjustment for me to see people leave their shoes on when they entered my house here. 

Honored Contributor

I don't feel welcome in peoples houses that want my shoes removed.  I have one neighbor who enforces that for their family but not for guests.  I do understand that for some people it is cultural.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee - What wonderful traditions you must have! I taught in Japan for 3 years. The first day I went in I had sandals on. I went to step inside my classroom and the interpreter said, "Please remove shoes." I taught in my bare feet on tatami mats, but no one said anything. The next day and every day after I carried socks in my bag!

We still have "house shoes." We put them on when we come in from outside. Mine are Birkenstocks that have never left the house. As the years have gone by I'm the only one who follows this practice all of the time. We never had a designated area, just a rubber mat by the entrance from the garage. When the kids' friends came over I never asked them to take off their shoes- unless it was when they were very young and played  outside in dirt or mud! But as teenagers? They would have been embarrassed. Their friends already thought I was a little "quirky"!  Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I lived in Japan for 4 years, no outside shoes in my house either.

Honored Contributor

The only time that we been asked to remove our shoes has been when we went to open houses for sale. But even that was fairly rare.

It's just not something on our radar.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I never go barefoot in my home. I wear shoes, slipper only when I'm dressed for bed. Neither my family nor grandparents went barefoot in the house.

It was considered improper behavior, low class if you wish, to go about with naked feet.Just as it was improper for men to go about shirtless.

That's my culture. If I were in another country/culture, I would follow their customs.