Super Contributor

In all my 72 years I have NEVER been asked to remove my shoes when entering someone's house.  And I've never asked anyone to remove their shoes entering mine unless they were muddy.  I wash my floors regularly and don't feel there's any deadly toxins lurking, waiting to annihilate me.  Guess I'm just a laid back type of person.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

I have a bamboo shoe rack near my door that we put our shoes on-- it sits on the hard floor before the carpeting in the apt. I also have house slippers and flip flops that I wear indoors only--in my other house, I found a big round, tall basket that held shoes next to my front door---not concerned about covid but just that horrible stuff we walk thru everwhere you go outside--had a beautiful carpet that I wanted to keep dirt free and nastiness free as much as I could.  

Respected Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

In all my 72 years I have NEVER been asked to remove my shoes when entering someone's house.  And I've never asked anyone to remove their shoes entering mine unless they were muddy.  I wash my floors regularly and don't feel there's any deadly toxins lurking, waiting to annihilate me.  Guess I'm just a laid back type of person.

I agree @caroln242 .  People are more important than things to me.  I would never embarrass or make a guest in my home feel uncomfortable by telling them to remove any article of clothing.  I have a broom, vac. and mop. I now how to use them and it is not a big deal. Much ado about nothing.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 

When in Hawaii, adhere to their island culture but, just as you would not insist on bringing mainland etiquette there, don't insist on island etiquette here.

Esteemed Contributor

These to shoe or not to shoe indoors posts always leave me wondering...

Do those who don't allow guests to wear shoes in their homes have pets? You know, the dog that you walk around the block on those same sidewalks we find so disgusting or even worse a cat that is jumping in and out of a litterbox and then might even jump on the kitchen counter. Gag! 🤮

Esteemed Contributor

No shoes in my house.  I provide slippers. At front door.  Did this before covid.  I do make exception if person is unable to remove shoes because of age .elderly. Or disab!e.

Respected Contributor

I would buy disposable shoe covers.   I wouldn't want to wear slippers someone else wore.

Super Contributor

Nothing to do with covid, but we live in Hawaii and you do not enter someone's home without taking off your shoes.  We just leave them outside or inside by the front door.

Amazon.com: Seaweed Surf Co. Aloha Please Remove Your Slippas But No Take  Mo' Bettah One When You Leave Mahalo Aluminum Tin Metal Poster Sign Wall  Decor 12x18: Home & Kitchen

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

Reading about people's foot issues and swelling issues has made me rethink things a little. Thank you for your honesty! You've helped me see another side to this.

When asked, I think I'm going to stop telling guests that I prefer no shoes. I'll just start saying, "Anything goes!" instead.

Most people will follow my example and do what I do anyway. Any who don't, probably have a good reason for it. And I have a vaccum and a mop for a reason. I'd rather make everyone feel welcome than have a perfect floor.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I have two neighbors who are immigrants, I think from India. They live across the street from one another. Both houses have what looks like a tall book case on their front porch filled with shoes.  

Apparently, they do not wear shoes in their home.  I have never gone up on their porch to see if they have slippers or socks to change into.

I prefer to not wear shoes...anywhere.  I am comfortable in my bare feet.  My DH always wear shoes and won't walk in bare feet or even with socks on.

My father had polio was as crippled in both legs and feet.  He absolutely could not walk without his shoes on and he would not have been able to walk with covers over his shoes.  My older sister wears shoes with a brace attached and she must have the shoes and brace on to walk and no covers either...those covers would be dangerous.

I don't care if anyone wears shoes in my house if their shoes are not muddy or wet.  I have dogs.  They walk around my house too.

I would not be happy if somone walked with bare feet on my floors with plantar warts, fungus, or the ton of other stuff that is catchy.

I only have carpet in my bedrooms. No one goes in those rooms. I can wash my hardwood floors and I do...just about everyday.

I would never ask a guest to remove their shoes.  There are people who cannot walk without their shoes and I would not want to embarass them.

If your shoes were muddy or you had thin stiletto heels, I would ask that you not wear them in my home. So far, no one has tried to enter with those types of shoes.

My home is to live in, not just look at.  If something gets ruined and needs replaced, then I'll replace it.  No big deal to me.