Esteemed Contributor

Re: No Sense Of Self Preservation

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@IMW   I get that seeing bison in person must be jaw dropping but holy cow. 

If they folks hadn't moved and had gotten squished between the car and a ton of PO's bison I would hope it was known from the video it was the humans fault and not the animal.

The bear guy made me think of Tim Treadwell who filmed grizzlies.  He seemed to think they were this friends......right up to when they ate him and his girlfriend.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I had never heard of this guy, so I googled him.  Oh. My. Gosh.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

The guy with the bears that come on his porch showed how clever bears are.

There was a bird feeder hanging over the porch railing. It was a tray with little sides to contain the bird seed.  This big bear was sitting on the railing, took hold of the tray, opened her mouth and tipped a corner of the feeder and funneled it right in. Down the hatch. When she finished she let go and got down. Never yanked it down.  She was, "I got this, thanks for the snack."

At one point she did walk to where he was sitting and opened her mouth toward his knee.  He just said, "No". She stopped........that time.

For me, too unpredictable a situation.  Her mood could turn on a dime.

Death by wild animal is something you can control and avoid 99.99% of the time.  Not many things in life you can say that about.

Respected Contributor

Here is the video of the bison fighting in the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4wWIVtLk74

Honored Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

Here is the video of the bison fighting in the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4wWIVtLk74

Thanks!  Yeah, the guy w/the phone was pretty pretty pretty close!  No brain, no pain.  Smiley Very Happy

They are such majestic animals!   Many years ago, there was this piece of land out south of Carson City where they had a large number of buffalo in this large fenced area.

I used to go there sometimes to just hang outside the fence and watch them.  Sometimes they would come around, perhaps to see if I had food or something - I don't know.

But I really enjoyed watching them from a safe place.  Then, some guy from Texas bought the land and had them all killed.  Needless to say, I was angry.  I'd watched them for years.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt  I get that people love seeing any animal outside of a zoo setting, especially huge ones. I seem to remember when I was very young there was a place that had a few buffalo and my sister and I love to see them______from a car.

I would love to do a safari but there is no way in heck I would get out of a vehicle and stroll around to check out the elephants, lions etc.  That is a death wish.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags  Evidently the girlfriends equipment ran for awhile and there was audio of them being attacked. No one was allowed to listen to it and I read it was "lost".

What a horrific way to die!

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@chickenbutt  I get that people love seeing any animal outside of a zoo setting, especially huge ones. I seem to remember when I was very young there was a place that had a few buffalo and my sister and I love to see them______from a car.

I would love to do a safari but there is no way in heck I would get out of a vehicle and stroll around to check out the elephants, lions etc.  That is a death wish.

Ooh, I always thought a safari would be awesome!  I never got to do it, but I think I'd have liked it a lot.

I'll admit that I'm pretty much more fearful of humans than other animals (well, except for bees!) but, like you, I'm not a fool and know when to keep distance.

I used to swim with sharks and really loved it.  Almost got a chance to cage-dive with Great Whites but that didn't work out.  I was so looking forward to that.  But just swimming in the water with other sharks, I knew what I was doing and there weren't any safety issues.   They are so beautiful.  Definitely one of my fav animals!  Smiley Happy

But my friends would give me a hard time, being that I am truly TERRIFIED of bees, yet loved swimming with sharks.  Smiley Very Happy