Honored Contributor

Have lived in our house for over forty years and have never seen a snake. Lots of woods around here. We have mostly deer and turkeys.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Have lived in our house for over forty years and have never seen a snake. Lots of woods around here. We have mostly deer and turkeys.

Same where i live.

Honored Contributor

I won't be mowing my grass in May...or any time, for that matter.  The HOA hires landscapers who do this.  I've never seen dandelions or clover in our grass, so I doubt they'll be harming any bees by mowing as usual.  

I have lots of flowers in my pots and beds that the bees love.  

Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:
With all the comments here about high gas prices you might think people here would be in favor of this for that reason alone. Unless you have an electric or push mower.

@Greeneyedlady21, I have an electric lawn mower. Love it and have no plans to ever go back to gas. But even if I used gas, I would not go that long without mowing my grass.

Honored Contributor

This is great. I also have planted tons of bee, butterfly friendly plants. They are always in my yard buzzing around.  In fact we have to rescue them out of our pond all the time.  They start to drown. I have to get net. Lol.   Last year I was finding dead bees in the yard here and there.  It was really concerning.  It wasn't anything in my yard because I don't use pesticides at all.  No weed killers at all.  We have a pond And I would be too concerned.  I think it was environment death .  It couldn't have been something in someone's yard because it happened all year. Not at one time

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

You haven't seen the snakes because they see you first and slither away. NJ is home to lots, and I mean lots of snakes. They just know how to hide out and avoid people.

Way, way back the old Christian Broadcasting Network used to have a gardening show that came from Georgia. The host of the show said once that he'd only ever seen one rattlesnake in his big garden over many years. A biologist from a nearby college came on the show and told him that there were probably ten or more rattlesnakes in his garden area as they spoke. He laughed and said, "No way!" The expert then led him on a tour of his garden showing him the likely habitats the snakes would be in and pretty much every place they looked they found one or more snakes. The host was shook. The biologist assured him that as long as he didn't bother the snakes they wouldn't bother him. They'd been there all along and he never knew. 

Snakes tend not to advertise their presence. Lots of things want to kill them and eat them, so keeping a low profile keeps them alive.

As to No Mow May, it'll be followed by New Mower June. Old mowers will die quickly when confronted with a month's unmown lawn. In May my grass gets mown every five days or so and is tall when I mow it then. If I didn't mow it at all in May, it would be a foot or more tall, and a jungle. My old electric mower would look at that and say, "No way!" 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I live in a condo so while this doesn't affect my mowing habits😄 I firmly believe in manicured lawns/landscaping. I am very happy my Association is on top of it. 

With regard to city dwellers who live in single family homes on small lots, if not for us, we should mow for our neighbors. 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

You haven't seen the snakes because they see you first and slither away. NJ is home to lots, and I mean lots of snakes. They just know how to hide out and avoid people.

Way, way back the old Christian Broadcasting Network used to have a gardening show that came from Georgia. The host of the show said once that he'd only ever seen one rattlesnake in his big garden over many years. A biologist from a nearby college came on the show and told him that there were probably ten or more rattlesnakes in his garden area as they spoke. He laughed and said, "No way!" The expert then led him on a tour of his garden showing him the likely habitats the snakes would be in and pretty much every place they looked they found one or more snakes. The host was shook. The biologist assured him that as long as he didn't bother the snakes they wouldn't bother him. They'd been there all along and he never knew. 

Snakes tend not to advertise their presence. Lots of things want to kill them and eat them, so keeping a low profile keeps them alive.

As to No Mow May, it'll be followed by New Mower June. Old mowers will die quickly when confronted with a month's unmown lawn. In May my grass gets mown every five days or so and is tall when I mow it then. If I didn't mow it at all in May, it would be a foot or more tall, and a jungle. My old electric mower would look at that and say, "No way!" 

@gardenman  Hi there. Haven't talked to you for awhile. I think since your friend thought everyone in NJ knew each other. Funniest thing I've ever heard. Thanks for the snake info although I don't live in NJ, but I guess it's the same in NY. Anyway I wasn't planning on letting my grass grow. We have a lawn company and I don't think they would be very happy with that. I was just saying I've never seen a snake. I hope you didn't jinx me a snake is the last thing I would ever want to see.

Respected Contributor

We still have Spring snow showers in N. WI. Many a Mother's Day with a snow. A late Spring this year.  At least it melts. I have a rough lawn with dandelions and weeds. What the bees love  on my property are Pincherry bushes. Hundreds come in, mostly Bumble Bees the past few years. The buzzing is so loud for a week when in bloom. I have never been stung by a bee but have had a few  nasty wasp stings.

Respected Contributor

I'd like to help bees but dh mows about 6 acres.  If we let it grow we'd have a nightmare scenario.  He'd probably wreck the blades on the mower deck.  While we have a larger tractor for mowing and recently purchased a zero turn mower, we'd need a brush hog to get the lawn back. Too much work.

The idea of creating a habitat in one particular area seems more logical.  But we already have 3-4 acres of woods.  Maybe that's enough for bees.  I seldom walk there due to ticks.  Deer are in there every single day all year long.  So I walk there mostly in wintertime.  Not sure if bees like it there or not.