Respected Contributor

I suggest planting some lavender if it will do well in your area.  I removed a grassy area in my backyard (full of crabgrass and tree roots) and replaced it with rocks and day lily plants and some lavender.  The lavender brings so many bees whenever it's blooming (all the time).  I had to even trim it back after the plants got so big. 

I stupidly trimmed some without gloves and reached in to pull the cuttings out and got stung by a bee!

I would say the 6 plants have 100's of bees buzzing them around all the time!

download.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2  I cringed in pain reading your post about being stung and 100s of bees buzzing around.  Am terrified of them as am one of those people who's deathly allergic to bee stings.

Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't affect us in Arizona. Most people have rocks instead of grass (if they do have grass, it's a small patch for the dog) in both front and back yards. No one wants to cut, fertilize, and water grass when it's 110 out and we have a water shortage anyway. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach 

I had no mos for a couple months last year on our acreage, but it was late summer, early fall. Our 15 year old mower bit the dust and during the shutdowns, getting a new mower was not simple.

Find the one that will fit you best? Not in stock, will take months to deliver. Paid to have part of it mowed, twice. Finally got a new mower and have only used it 2 times.

Ain't no way I ain't jumping on that thing as soon as our grass, and other stuff, is high enough to need it mowed. Now I will have to get the owners manual out to relearn all of its functions. Same brand as our old one, but lots of functions have been updated, not even close to our old ZT Mower.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
With all the comments here about high gas prices you might think people here would be in favor of this for that reason alone. Unless you have an electric or push mower.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

No, we'll be mowing in April like we always do. I have lots of flowering bushes and trees, for the bees. I am also tired of the woke ideas, theres a new one every week. I know bees are a little scarse, but they don't eat grass. 

@HLP 

You got that right, sister!  I'm right there with ya'!!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Oh, please! This is nonsense. People mow grass not flowers. Just another 'feel good for no good' idea. If you want to help the bees then campaign against the harmful emf-producing 5g, cell towers, etc.

Honored Contributor

If your lawn is actually grass, and not a combination of grass, weeds, and clover, letting it grow won't accomplish anything.  No, we will not be not mowing in May.  I have a pollinator garden for the bees, as well as a bee house if they want to use it, although I haven't seen any action there.  I get a lot of bumblebees, but not so many honeybees, but last year I finally saw a couple of those.  The bees and hummingbirds also like the hosta flowers.

Honored Contributor

It's an interesting idea.  I am woke and would support the idea, though our condo community would look like h*ll.  I guess if everyone in the area was also doing it, it wouldn't matter.

Honored Contributor

I'm all for the pollinators--it's the ticks, fleas, chiggers, and snakes that I'm not happy about.  So yes, I've already started mowing and will be continuing until the next freeze.

I've got plenty enough wild acreage for Mother Nature to do her thing.  Just not in the few acres around my house.