Honored Contributor

Are any of your communities or cities or simply individuals taking part

in No Mow May to help pollinators? 
I believe it started in England but the concept has spread widely since then.

It supports pollinators by letting grasses and other meadow-type plants blossom so pollinators will have increased food sources.

Fingers crossed my HOA will enjoy supporting Nature.

Just one of many articles:

Nytimes dot com/2022/03/28/travel/no-mow-may-wisconsin.html

5586268E-50B3-47BD-972C-F9DA3D95FAC2.jpeg

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

It supports pollinators by letting grasses and other meadow-type plants blossom so pollinators will have increased food sources.

Respected Contributor

No, we'll be mowing in April like we always do. I have lots of flowering bushes and trees, for the bees. I am also tired of the woke ideas, theres a new one every week. I know bees are a little scarse, but they don't eat grass. 

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

No I'll be mowing in April. I'm not woke to all the new "don't does

Respected Contributor

No...I mow every week once the grass starts to grow.

Honored Contributor

We like this idea. We have no lawn nor do we ever mow. Like to keep front and back the way it is. First time I came to visit I was very impressed that there was no lawn.

Honored Contributor

Im all for supporting the bees, their pollination is critical to eco system....The best thing is planting flowers in gardens or even in containers....

But another thing, dont drink Almond milk, many bees are killed in the process of harvesting the almonds...

🦒

From theguardian.com July 2020

Almond production requires bees for pollination. But pesticide exposure and other factors can cause many to die in the process. Almond milk may be a healthy alternative for us, but there are growing concerns about its impact on bees and the environment

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

At the rate my lawn care guy tends to show up, I might wind up participating by default. He is not overly reliable.

But I expect the lawn to be mowed every other week in the mild spring and do not want the grass to be going to seed and looking a mess. It grows less quickly and less lush in the hot summer, but I still would not be leaving it untended to make my property less appealing.

I do a lot to be encouraging Nature here in my urban neighborhood and I make efforts toward climate protection. I have many flowering plantings for pollinating species to enjoy. I don't feel at all motivated to invite overgrowth and disorder in May or any other month.  

If it matters, my lawn care guy has a push mower and does not use gas or electricity in his tasks. The mower runs on manpower and he sweeps up with a broom, not a blower.  Hope I will be forgiven for not keeping the bees busy.

Honored Contributor

I'm for anything that requires less lawn maintenance.

Valued Contributor

There is no way I'd not mow my grass in May. I have a dog plus grandchildren who love to play in my backyard when they visit and my grass grows far too quick. Some of these ideas people come up with are absolutely ridiculous.