Respected Contributor

No More Pre-lit Wreaths for me...

I purchased a beautiful Christmas wreath (Valerie Paar Hill) two years ago after the holiday.  It's has a timer function and you can go through a series of lighting functions in either clear or multi colors.  Used it for the first time last year and everything worked just fine.  Stored it in a plastic wreath holder in a spare bedroom closet.  Took it out yesterday, put batteries in it,  set it on the clear lights with the timer function on and placed it on the front door.  Looked great! Woke this morning to find it never turned off.  As a matter of fact, I turned it to the off position and still couldn't get it to turn off.  I had to remove the batteries to shut it down.  

I don't see any other option other than to cut the battery pack off as it's large (holds 3 D batteries) and in its place,  string some clear fairy lights I have that are battery operated and have a timer function.  

Doesn't make sense to purchase and pay more for pre-lit Christmas items like wreaths or trees and not have them work after only a year or so.  I might as well purchase a pretty wreath and string my own lights on it.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: No More Pre-lit Wreaths for me...

Did you leave the batteries in it while it was stored?  They often leak and corrode the terminals causing it to malfunction or not work at all.  Could just use it unlit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Did you leave the batteries in it while it was stored?  They often leak and corrode the terminals causing it to malfunction or not work at all.  Could just use it unlit.

@Kachina624  No, I stored it without the batteries.  I'm going to try it one more time and see if it shuts off.  Maybe a glitch..., if not, I'll just string the clear fairy lights on and learn a lesson.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

I bought a stunning pre lit garland a few years ago.

It works every other year.

This is an off year, so in the box it stays.Woman LOL   

Trusted Contributor

Was it cold outside?  Batteries react to cold weather.  Try it again, but keep it inside tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

You said......Buy a wreath and string your own lights - that's what I did for the front door.   Years ago bought a beautiful wreath without lights - Q was offering small battery timer lights a short time later............so I strung the lights in  and out of the greens - run the power cord down the front door and tucked the electrical wire in behind the door facing...... and plug in to my porch outlet.    Works great year after year.

Respected Contributor

Been through exactly what happened to you, Not only do they not lite but everyone that sells these things say how very bright the lights are on them. I have yet to really see one that the lights are so bright on them. 

Trusted Contributor

I have purchased two sets of two hanging baskets with lights.  Neither set worked longer than a couple of weeks.  The baskets still look good - but NO lights.  I get the beautiful Xmas wreaths from Costco - no lights but very large with some berries, etc. woven into them - a fantastic buy at $15.99 each year.

Super Contributor

No more pre-lit anything ever again for me! Nothing but trouble and frustration when they fail, and they will fail 2nd or 3rd year you want to use them (at least that's MY experience). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a prelit table top tree I bought from QVC more than 5 years ago that still lights. My only issue is the cats wanting to bite the branches and lights. 

But I am leery of purchasing a prelit tree, they're a lot more expensive and I've read too many complaints. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval