Trusted Contributor

Re: No COLA for Social Security

@catwhisperer wrote:

@60sgirl...you have done nothing wrong. You are just trying to provide us with info and facts. Her M.O. is to bait people into arguing, then she abandons the thread.

thank you for that. I do realize when she doesn't like something someone says she lashes out and calls them names or says something that I thought this board did not allow i.e. saying I disgust her. I suppose she'll contact the mods and ask that the thread be deleted. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

As already mentioned, food prices. Then there are the rising costs of rents and utilities. Our rent is 45% of our monthly income! Those in charge just don't care. They HAVE money, so COLA is non of their concern. Cat Mad

Get real, that 1.5% increase wasn't going to change your life anyway. 

Always a ray of Sunshine.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it was off topic.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree

@Silver Lining wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

I understand what you're saying, 151949, but what about those who don't drive? There are many elderly people who don't. I know of some who either take a taxi or otherwise pay for transportation to get to their medical appointments, grocery store or pay for deliveries and those costs aren't lowered when gas prices are. Also, some don't have a spouse with whom to share household expenses. Also, through no fault of their own, some people have only SS as income.

SSA isn't a welfare program.  It was never intended to be anyone's sole source of income.  And the cola increases were minute, you know that.  Usually less that 2% and often that eaten up by the Part B premium increase.  No one is going to feel a pinch because they aren't getting a $14 increase in their check this year. 

It might surprise you to know that I worked for a very long time for the public welfare department....in the eligibility programs of food stamps, family assistance, elder assistance, and aid to the permanently and totally disabled. I've been in the service provision side, too, some of which is based on the client's financial eligibility. After becoming somewhat an expert in policy and experience, I worked in the Fraud and Overpayment Unit. So, nobody ain't got nuthin on me regarding what is welfare and what is not.

If anyone has a reason or a "right" to be angry at liars and cheats, lazy good-for-nothings, freeloaders, etc., you're looking at her. I'm also a strong opponent of many of Social Security's "entitlement" programs, especially a string of wives all drawing Social Security from one man's eligibility. BUT, BUT, BUT, there are many elderly people whose sole income is a Social Security check through no fault of their own.

@chrystaltreeI should have used a notification prompt so you would know of this response since it is pretty much embedded in an increasingly lengthy thread. 

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

It is outrageous that this country csn spend billions on salaries for government officials (many of whom are found guilty of fraud later on) yet, can't give a decent amount of people who spent their life WORKING in this country never asking for a dime from the government.

I heard on the radio this morning that illegal immigrants can start collecting SS benefits next year.  And people wonder how SS can go bankrupt, health care is thru the roof and public schools are overcrowded.  

How about some back up facts for this statement?

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I'm almost 70 but have not yet applied for social security.  I don't need it.  However, my daughters tell me I should because their Dad paid into it for many years.  So, I will.

That said.  I think anyone who judges another for only having Social Security to live on is wrong.  There are many different reasons why people only have that to live on.  The first and probably the main reason is because that's what they could afford (after everything else was taken out many years ago).

I've had to help out family members who only had that to live on. 

I have been told that social security was touted as all that people would need to live on.  I don't know.  It doesn't matter.  The fact is that there are people who only have that to live on.

I don't understand in this country why the government can do some of the ignorant things (like giving other countries billions of dollars) yet they can't help people who need it.

It doesn't make sense to sit and 'talk' about this.  The best thing to do (if you care) is write your Senators and Congressmen.

It only takes the cost of a few stamps and at least you'll feel like you are doing something.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

It is outrageous that this country csn spend billions on salaries for government officials (many of whom are found guilty of fraud later on) yet, can't give a decent amount of people who spent their life WORKING in this country never asking for a dime from the government.

I heard on the radio this morning that illegal immigrants can start collecting SS benefits next year.  And people wonder how SS can go bankrupt, health care is thru the roof and public schools are overcrowded.  

This may answer some of your question(s). http://www.tolerance.org/immigration-myths

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What everyone here is forgetting to mention is that those who will be paying the higher amount for their medicare is because they have a higher income. I believe the amount is $85,000 / year before you have to start paying the higher amounts and then it is a % so it increases as your income increases.  So those who have to pay more is because they should be able to afford to pay more. The other 70 % will continue to pay the 104. 90 they have been paying.

Informational:  Being declared a "higher income earner" is determined on the income earned two years prior, for 2016 it will be based on income reported in 2014 only. Many seniors have one year in their lifetime where they experience a spike due to having to sell property they can't afford or can't keep up the work it requires anymore. It would be fairer if a three-year average was used. I know a couple of seniors who were forced to sell their homes, had to use the profits to pay off large medical bills, and then got stuck with double Medicare and drug plans for 12 months two years later. Not all who are declared high income actually are.

Not receiving a COLA increase in any given year is, in truth, like getting a pay cut. I agree with the poster who said if SS recipients don't receive an increase, those in congress shouldn't either. I would expand it to include ALL federal employees. Nothing will change until more share the pain.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

It's not only those with high incomes who will pay 52% more for Medicare.  So will those who are on Medicare but are not yet collecting social security.  That will be a significant hardship for many people.  No, it's not affordable for all who are affected.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No surprise here. Since the COL does not include essentials for everyday living?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)