Esteemed Contributor

Re: No COLA for Social Security

Yet the illegals are STilL coming in and we are all paying for it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to get SS or medicare without a SS card and a birth certificate and if you were born in another country - a green card or proof you are now a citizen. ALL of those items needed to PROVE you are eligible. How does an illegal come up with all that?

Honored Contributor

I worked in a skilled nursing facility where many of the health care workers (nurses aides, etc.) were from Africa.  They were all American citizens but had no intention of retiring in the US.  They came to United States to get a better life and free education for their children.  Many said they could "live like a king" on what they would receive from Social Security in their own country. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What everyone here is forgetting to mention is that those who will be paying the higher amount for their medicare is because they have a higher income. I believe the amount is $85,000 / year before you have to start paying the higher amounts and then it is a % so it increases as your income increases.  So those who have to pay more is because they should be able to afford to pay more. The other 70 % will continue to pay the 104. 90 they have been paying.

wrong. it depends on the insurance company as well. if they offer "HMO" plans where they "manage" Medicare as an HMO handling the paperwork FOR Medicare.

They may  elect to make an increases to top of the 105.00 per month for Medicare - as  a "business decision".

don't think it isnt happening becuase your plan not changing

it is happening, regardless of the level of SS income

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I worked in a skilled nursing facility where many of the health care workers (nurses aides, etc.) were from Africa.  They were all American citizens but had no intention of retiring in the US.  They came to United States to get a better life and free education for their children.  Many said they could "live like a king" on what they would receive from Social Security in their own country. 

The flip side to that is the US-born citizens who move to other countries when they retire, some because the cost of living is lower, some because of the weather, etc.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

As already mentioned, food prices. Then there are the rising costs of rents and utilities. Our rent is 45% of our monthly income! Those in charge just don't care. They HAVE money, so COLA is none of their concern. Cat Mad

Edited for spelling.

ITA, and my own rent is 75% of my only  monthly income & asset (SSDI).

Been that way for the last 10 years.

Respected Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Illegal immigration is at net zero.

You may want to read the article mentioned up thread. 

These old myths about immigrants just seem to keep coming around. 

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

As already mentioned, food prices. Then there are the rising costs of rents and utilities. Our rent is 45% of our monthly income! Those in charge just don't care. They HAVE money, so COLA is none of their concern. Cat Mad

Edited for spelling.

Been that way for the last 10 years.I

I am sorry to hear that. And I bet even with that you don't qualify for rent subsidies. Like I said $15 a MONTH in food stamps for people living on less than minimum wage who put money into the system for years so that coffee brewers could demand $15.00 an hour. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@catwhisperer wrote:

Edited for spelling.

Been that way for the last 10 years.

@feline groovy...I am so sorry to hear that. How in the world do you make ends meet? It just irritates me to no end how some people throw money around and brag about it as if to mock those less fortunate. (((Hugs))).

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.