Honored Contributor

I may regret this.

To me, cars have a personality. Some have front ends that look smiley; I don't like those. The Juke looks hostile, all surley; I find that appealing. I had a Honda a while ago that looked Asian and seemed to look down on other cars and had secrets; I liked that. I enjoy driving and drive a lot so I have, perhaps, a more personal relationship with my car.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I may regret this.

To me, cars have a personality. Some have front ends that look smiley; I don't like those. The Juke looks hostile, all surley; I find that appealing. I had a Honda a while ago that looked Asian and seemed to look down on other cars and had secrets; I liked that. I enjoy driving and drive a lot so I have, perhaps, a more personal relationship with my car.

I think you're right...cars do have a personality and probably closely matches the people involved in its design.  I used to like front ends that were big and imposing...trying to remember which sedan it was I liked (it was not a truck or SUV) but it was cool looking but I think its popularity has waned. 

My taste in vehicles has changed and now I am more interested in a vehicle that can easily be driven off road or up a curb if necessary to get out of the way of an accident that you know you will be involved with if only you could get out of the way. My current low to the ground car could never do the same and so it's useless as far as I'm concerned! @occasionalrain

Valued Contributor

I test drove a Nissan Juke. I didn't like it and just couldn't get passed the visual of this car.  To me it looks like an over sized frog!

Trusted Contributor

@truffle wrote:

I no longer trust Nissans because in the news many are shutting off while the owner is driving, Lots of speculation about why from overheating while using in hot weather to it happens to Nissans as they get up to 100,000 mi on the odometer. Initially I heard it was the Versas but it's happening to many varied models. Also heard that the computer brain overheats and possibly the culprit with mechanics saying for $3600 they'll repair it.  

@truffle~~~Your post was interesting to me because unfortunately, my Mercedes SUV is at the dealership as I type for overheating. They can't seem to find the reason. First, they thought it was the fan, then I went through the winter and it seemed fine. 

Then it happened again....overheated and cracked the radiator. They replaced it, said it was fine, no damage. I drove 75 miles home and knew it was not fine. I was watching the thermostat all the way home making sure it stayed in the middle, but as I pulled into my driveway I noticed it wasn't cooling and the thermostat shot up to the max. 

To prevent any damage, it had to be towed to the dealership AGAIN and I told THEM to look at the themostat. They did, said that was it, but since I was still skeptical, I made him tell me exactly what they do to determine that. He did and I went to pick it up. They hadn't test driven it yet, so I asked them to please do because my friend had to be back by a certain time. 

You guessed it....the technician and service department manager drove it and came

back to say it still isn't right. They did give me a brand new 300 D to drive home, so that was good. 

What I don't understand is they charge $150 an hour for service, plus parts, have all of this sophisticated, technical, diagnostic equipment and can't find the problem. 

I knew Nissans were known to have this problem at around 100,000 miles, but mine only has 20,000 miles on it. 

Did they ever figure out what was causing Nissans to overheat?  Maybe I could apply it to my problem.  TIA

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

I test drove a Nissan Juke. I didn't like it and just couldn't get passed the visual of this car.  To me it looks like an over sized frog!

I took another look and I see it, more toad I think than frog still I like frogs and toads so it's all good. Now if the horn went ribit, that would please me no end.

Respected Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I no longer trust Nissans because in the news many are shutting off while the owner is driving, Lots of speculation about why from overheating while using in hot weather to it happens to Nissans as they get up to 100,000 mi on the odometer. Initially I heard it was the Versas but it's happening to many varied models. Also heard that the computer brain overheats and possibly the culprit with mechanics saying for $3600 they'll repair it.  

@truffle~~~Your post was interesting to me because unfortunately, my Mercedes SUV is at the dealership as I type for overheating. They can't seem to find the reason. First, they thought it was the fan, then I went through the winter and it seemed fine. 

Then it happened again....overheated and cracked the radiator. They replaced it, said it was fine, no damage. I drove 75 miles home and knew it was not fine. I was watching the thermostat all the way home making sure it stayed in the middle, but as I pulled into my driveway I noticed it wasn't cooling and the thermostat shot up to the max. 

To prevent any damage, it had to be towed to the dealership AGAIN and I told THEM to look at the themostat. They did, said that was it, but since I was still skeptical, I made him tell me exactly what they do to determine that. He did and I went to pick it up. They hadn't test driven it yet, so I asked them to please do because my friend had to be back by a certain time. 

You guessed it....the technician and service department manager drove it and came

back to say it still isn't right. They did give me a brand new 300 D to drive home, so that was good. 

What I don't understand is they charge $150 an hour for service, plus parts, have all of this sophisticated, technical, diagnostic equipment and can't find the problem. 

I knew Nissans were known to have this problem at around 100,000 miles, but mine only has 20,000 miles on it. 

Did they ever figure out what was causing Nissans to overheat?  Maybe I could apply it to my problem.  TIA

@jackiejennythe issue with your vehicle I believe is not the same that is happening with Nissans. When the Nissans overheat they shut off and the driver has very little control after that. Some Nissan owners it happened to said they couldn't restart and that the steering column locked up and others said the brakes no longer worked.  The lucky ones were able to coast to the side of a road and as it lost power it stopped without hitting anyone. So in other words not the same as overheating from the radiator or the cooling system but a complete shutdown.  

Your situation is bad too and I hope they find the answer and that you remain safe!

Trusted Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@truffle wrote:

@jackiejennythe issue with your vehicle I believe is not the same that is happening with Nissans. When the Nissans overheat they shut off and the driver has very little control after that. Some Nissan owners it happened to said they couldn't restart and that the steering column locked up and others said the brakes no longer worked.  The lucky ones were able to coast to the side of a road and as it lost power it stopped without hitting anyone. So in other words not the same as overheating from the radiator or the cooling system but a complete shutdown.  

Your situation is bad too and I hope they find the answer and that you remain safe!

@truffle~~~Okay, dang, I thought maybe I could help the guys figure out what it is.  You know, what little I know about mechanics is just enough to be dangerous, but on the Nissans, that almost sounds like an alternater problem too. 

Oh, well, thanks truffle for your sweet words and I am sure ( well, pretty sure) they will eventually figure it out. If not, I am keeping their car!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Just to give an update for those who were so kind to respond. I bought a Juke, it's black with black leather interior, sun/moon roof and tinted windows. The black is a change, I always buy red but it seemed it was meant to be black. Jukes have been discontinued; I like that there aren't many about. Sometimes mine is the only one in a parking lot. I love driving it and hope it won't get me another speeding ticket. 

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain

Congrats on your new car! Enjoy! 

Does it have a name? 

Honored Contributor

Thank you. I've had it a couple of months but it still hasn't got a name.