Respected Contributor

Re: Nine qualities of a Conscious Woman

[ Edited ]

I agree this is trying to send a positive message about how to live as healthy as possibe.

Since I've studied a lot of marketing, this is what it seems to be to me. As a young woman, I also see it as more pressure to measure myself against an impossible standard. I feel like this shouldn't focus on either men or women but rather people in general.

The idea is you check this 9 item list and notice you are missing some of them and then Deepak Chopra can help you fill in the gaps. I am certain it helps many people and inspires them to perhaps live a healthier life but the focus on women  makes me uncomfortable. I have enough on my plate to concern myself with.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Of course it's marketing, @NycVixen

I got it in an email promoting the upcoming conference for which participants must pay.  I wrote that in my response to sidsmom.

Nonetheless, it makes sense and there is no need to pay Deepak or anyone for any of it, nor does one have to feel lacking if you're "missing" one of their items.  

I admire the fact that they even included something like "receives elegantly." 

We all take from it, as we do with everything else, what we want, and/or whether we want.    Nobody is saying it's the be-all and end-all.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand. I just wanted to post that I didn't respond positively to it since I know what the angle is. Marketing should try to move away from this and focus more on what people can gain from a product or service rather than what they may be lacking. I just finished a course on marketing I took as an elective and the tactic in this ad was covered.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

I don’t see it as marketing.

Those conferences would still be sold out/filled with or without 

an email.  Deepak Chopra’s email list is probably several million

contacts, worldwide. It’s not a ‘we still have room’ type of email

to get ‘cheeks-in-the-seats’ to pay the bills.  The email is just giving

someone an opportunity to try something different.

As for the illustration, in my world, all this stuff is free.  

Really for a.n.y.one, it’s free.

A seminar, a book, a conference, which costs something, is more

like a ‘retreat’, being around like-minded people of positive attitude.

Some might say it’s a hobby or bucket-list excursion.

It’s a Half-Empty, Half-Full way to approach anything.

Positive viewing is pretty nice, I must say!

🌼💛

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the way you put it, @sidsmom

I have decided this year to look at the positive, so thank you!

ETA:  But that being said, I don't see all marketing as negative.  I think marketers are smart and clever and, yes, they do try to gain sales, nothing wrong with that either.  It's up to us as consumers to make the decision to use their marketing in whatever way benefits us.

We are not sheep, or at least, we can learn not to be sheep.

Honored Contributor

This works, too.

@sidsmom @NycVixen @Skididdy @CLEM @happycat

http://justequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/119FSS.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am so completely NOT a creative person, so I do lose there.  But that's ok.  I am pretty clinical and logical and I do that well, in lieu of being creative.   

If somebody else thinks the thing up I can figure out how to make it happen.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't dislike marketing since I use it for my job.

I dislike anything especially aimed at women detailing qualities they should have or aspire to have especially when it's an ad.

This whole idea of having these 9 qualities to"allow you to authentically embody and express everything you are within" I particularly dislike. Therefore, if you don't have these qualities then you cannot do this or as well. 

Look up Dove's ads. They expose how women don't usually have a good image of themselves due to often being told they are not good enough. I think then my point will come across.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I don't see anywhere that the first post says anything or even implies that anyone not having these qualities is less of a person for it.  

Sure, one can aspire.  That is a personal choice.

I've never seen Chopra's site or words or data from his works used to make anyone "less than."

The focus is on women particularly because historically women have NOT treated themselves to what they deserve, and that is precisely why Dove and others are currently focusing on women.

There is no need to make it all "equal" all the time.

Fairness is not always equal.

Honored Contributor

Right on, Homegirl!

I am somebody who is not an 'absolute thinker'.   There is good you can take from things and it doesn't have to be the whole ball of wax to get something meaningful out of something.