Trusted Contributor

Re: Nightmare report from Dentist and need Water Pic suggestions...

Plan on paying extra to be knocked out for wisdom teeth removal.  Completely worth the  money. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee I went every 6 months from the time I was three and had the deal with wisdom teeth having to be surgically removed and chipped off the bone; a tooth growing in wrong angle that was removed surgically AND an abcess.

It happens whether you go or not but is expensive and painful and I feel very sorry for anyone going though this! Best wishes to all of you!  

@Sooner When I was stationed in Germany I had to see a German Dentist Because where I was stationed was on A German Base in a remote site. (about 70 American Soldiers where stationed there) I had to have my wisdom teeth removed the same way. My face was so swollen afterwards and the pain, Oh my goodness I just wanted to stay knocked out. LOL!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@JYWilliams Yes, I DO feel your pain!  AND you might be comforted by knowing that I threw up all over the dentist's shoes when I woke up.  He was saying "I am SO glad I was standing here when you woke up" and I was thinking "I'll bet you were thrilled!"

I was so embarrassed I just wanted to get out of there!   

Respected Contributor

Mine just says waterpik water flosser.  It's blue on top where the water goes and has a white base.  I actually broke it by stumbling over it and it still works nicely.

I have serious dental issues too.  Gonna cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000.00.  They accepted cash for a discount.

I've used waterpik for years.  It's a must.  My teeth regimen is strict and I do it twice per day.  I dry floss and I have floss threaders for under bridges.  I clean my pockets too then I water pik.  Then I brush, then clean tongue, then rinse with Listerine then plain water.  My dentist said I've done well throughout the years. 

My dear, I sincerely hope you have a lot of dental insurance.  We have it but it's useless if you need extensive work which I need and I see you guys need.  I'm sorry for your plight.  So very sorry.  It's tough, I know. XXOO

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee  I read your post and wondered if your were at my dentist office today.  I was in the lobby waiting for my cleaning...three kids were sitting there after having had their cleanings..comparing how many cavities they had...one kid had 11...the other two had like 8 and 9 each😳  Their mother was talking to the receptionist about financing....poor lady..🙁

@SeaMaiden Lol, yeah, no. My kids aren't little anymore (high school and college) and we don't go in as a group. I feel for her, though. I remember those days when braces had to be done; still doing them as a matter of fact. *sigh*

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Trusted Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

Plan on paying extra to be knocked out for wisdom teeth removal.  Completely worth the  money. 

@Shaunac Been down that route with myself, DH and 2 of the boys. It isn't cheap but like you said, worth the money.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

We were worried about the effects of being knocked out when it came to our daughter, who was probably about nine or ten. So we opted out.

She has never forgiven us for for that decision!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

have you checked to see if any of the dental work would be covers by any programs like CHIPS

I would try to go to another dentist also to compare what they would have done and what they would charge

Honored Contributor

Just ordered a Water Pik Nano and an Evolution both for $69 from Costco.  Seemed like a great way to get started with one since so many here are fond of them!

Now hubby and I each have one, which is nice since we have separate counters.

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

All my dentists have always said that a waterpic is ONLY a useful add on to a good flossing.  

It is good to start kids young with the floss, then it becomes a habit.

I absolutely disagree, I was a faithful flosser, got a water pic, and my six month check ups are the best ever. I use a sonicare and a water pick. Nothing else.  I have been doing this for almost 10 years. Even my dentist asks me almost every visit what am I doing to get such good check ups, LOL