Honored Contributor

Re: Nightmare report from Dentist and need Water Pic suggestions...

Wo!   I wonder why the Rx toothpaste is so expensive.  I use PreviDent 5000 and it's like $12 at the dentist.

Early last year, when we had to reschedule my April appointment I had to order one online and, while it was a lot more, it was only $30 online.   Don't ask me about the fact that it says right on it 'by prescription only', yet you can buy it online.  But I just bit the bullet to get more so I could keep using it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow...I feel for you and your wallet, it's not going to be inexpensive.

My dentist opened last year - I did not miss any of my well care visits.

You might look at purchasing a couple Sonic Care toothbrushes....the base can be shared and each person would have their own brush.  They do an excellent job of cleaning the teeth.

Esteemed Contributor

Okay I just want to jump in here if I may.   Proper brushing and flossing will take care of preventing cavities, it works so just do it.  The best rinse IMO is the purple color Listerine as it contains fluoride. (at least once a day or twice)   While many people have dental issues your best defense is good home care.   Yes many of us will endure the occassional root canal or extraction because these things happen to the best of us.

But 10 cavities, OMG.......there is just no excuse for that.  You have to do the best you can, I don't understand how any dental office can be closed for that long???  And don't give me the "soft" teeth routine because that is a myth.  They have  a responsibility for their patients and cannot leave you with no care at all.  Get these issues taken care of and I would be on those kids to take better care of their teeth, you can't grow new ones a second time.    Sorry but this drives me nuts as a certified dental assistant for 30 years,

rant over.

Honored Contributor

I'd find another dentist.  I can't imagine a dentist staying closed that long.  I don't recall when my dentist reopened, but I do remember the extensive precautions that they took so they could continue to serve patients.  I do remember that he and the hygienist looked like they had hazmat suits on.  The hygienist still only does manual cleaning....not the ultrasonic.  But I go every 3 months now, as before

Honored Contributor

I don't understand how there could be no plaque or gum disease but 10 cavities if he was brushing so well.

Valued Contributor

We have 3 waterpiks at our house, all of them are available here on the Q

v120183  our first one and now it is just for my husband.  It comes with a kit full of different tips, we only use the regular tip but you might use the other tips because of some dental issue.

v120606 got this one so we didn't have to share.  Can use with the whitening tablet or without.  The tablet doesn't really whiten your teeth but your mouth feels very fresh, I rarely use the whitening tablet.

v120185 cordless, and portable.  I thought this would be so great but didn't end up liking it.  Very nice that it is cordless but the small water reservoir makes it clumsy to fill in comparison to the large water reservoir on the others that are just wide open.  The water pressure diminishes with this one as the level of water reduces in comparison to the corded models where the pressure is consistent throughout.  I now use this one for travel only.

I would recommend the first one for you and you would need to buy extra tips for your family members.

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

Don't underestimate flossing. My dentist says "only floss the teeth you want to keep" and "if you can only afford a toothbrush or floss, buy the floss"

I also own a water pik

Your dentist was closed for a year??

Honored Contributor

If you're near a COSTCO they have a set of 2 for sale for about $70.

I'm headed there tomorrow to get a set for my husband and me.

Respected Contributor

Are you sure?  You said it's a new dentist, and my experience with new dentists is they try to rip you off.  I had one tell me I needed 5 crowns on my very first visit.  Never saw him again.  I think I'd be getting a second opinion.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee   Make sure to double check your dental insurance.  Most of the dental plans have a yearly maximum that they will pay out. So, if your claims exceed that Max, you will be stuck paying more than 20% and the deductible out of your pocket.

It is always better to make sure and not get surprised.