Super Contributor
OMGOSH, shorty, that is just AWFUL!!!! We have a bird feeder, but I have never encountered any issues. Sending you good vibes that you find a resolution soon.💕
Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Respected Contributor

I feel for you. Peppermint oil on cotton, placed in openings where they come in, sealing all openings around pipes, molding with steel wool and plaster.

These measures along with exterminator will work— it takes time. Moving doesn’t necessarily solve the issue since it can anywhere.

Honored Contributor

What's a shame is that young children aren't exposed to nature and never learn to co-exist with the creatures with whom we share the planet. I was fortunate to be exposed to little garter snakes, frogs, turtles, mice ...and learned to appreciate them. We didn't kill spiders, we caught them and put them outside. We had bird feeders and bat boxes. Our yard was full of flowers and the sounds of bees and birds.

Esteemed Contributor

Be careful with Decon  if you have pets. Even if it’s hidden and the pet gets the mouse it can be poisoned (according to my ver a long time ago).

I haven’t used it but use glue traps or disposable ones in the garage.

Honored Contributor

Glue traps are inhumane and may soon be outlawed. It's a slow cruel death. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Nightmare, now what?

[ Edited ]

Be careful with your cats.  You can place peppermint oil on cotton balls in the garage, but I would not in the house.  It's toxic to cats and can damage their liver, and inhaling it can be harmful to their respiratory system.

Also, as others have said, if your cats eat a mouse that has eaten the bait, they could be poisoned.

Peppermint oil around the exterior of your home and old fashioned mouse traps along the foundation might be your best options.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Glue traps are inhumane and may soon be outlawed. It's a slow cruel death. 

@occasionalrain   I agree, the poor mouse that steps onto a glue strip has the cruelest of deaths.  I would never use them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

when we first moved in some 30 yrs ago we bought into a development that was surrounded by farmers fields, and mean hundreds of acres of farm fields. as developments began to sprout up, yup we got mice in the house. we didn't realize it at first, but one morn woke up and something that my husband left out at night (he makes his lunch for work) and didn't put in fridge was chewed ,you could see the teeth marks, i asked dh about it, he said he didnt eat he just forgot to put it away and it was for his lunch. then we knew and the noises began in the house you could hear the mice running in sub flooring.  we noticed dh nice sweaters (mohair) were being used as nests, my towels the soft fluffy ones were being used as nests)we began putting out mice bait,the box granules bait, and one night while watching t.v. in the living which is just off the master bedroom, the mice began to appear walking really slowly. My husband was able to capture the mice because they ate the granule bait we put under dh dresser. they come out for water because the bait dries them and they crave water. That granule bait is the best, to this day 30  yrs later, I keep under sinks in kitchen and baths. We recently had carpeting replaced in whole house so the granule bait is now gone under dresser. So far no problem

when we lived in hawaii the bug were horrid. The roaches were so big they would knock at your door and say move out i am moving in. I had to purchase tupperware by the truck load only thing to keep food somewhat safe when you live in Hawaii. I even sold tupperware while living over in Hawaii got a better price selling it for my own usage.

I hate bug, we had an ant infestation 3 yrs ago, i hate ants. For 3 yrs  i have 2 exterminators come every 3 months to keep ants and any bugs out of my house. there is still developments being built around my old development I don't want to take any chance.

Good luck with ridding your mouse problem, they are one nasty critter.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain   Sorry I didn’t make that clear! The glue traps I use have a regular snap trap that kills them fast. 

I need glue traps by the garage doors because snakes have come inside and one was poisonous. 

Super Contributor

Get a cat for outside