Honored Contributor

Re: Nice to see the Queen smile again...

More pictures of the cake cutting, from People.  Is the Queen losing it?  Smiley Happy

queenswordcake1.jpg

queenswordcake2.jpg

More from People:

"During the festivities, the Queen, 95, was also called upon to cut a celebratory cake - which she chose to do with a large ceremonial sword.

"I don't think this is going to work," joked Camilla, 73, in a video posted by Sky News reporter Thomas Newton.

As she prepared to cut into the confection, the monarch went on to playfully wave off a suggestion that she use something different for the task at hand.

"I know there is," she said in response to a reminder that there was a knife available to her. "This is something that is more unusual." Her quip brought smiles and laughs from Kate, 39, Camilla, and the rest of the crowd. "

Respected Contributor

Who is the woman with the tan jacket and black pants to the left of the Queen in the second picture?  I saw her several times on the news reports, but I don't recognize her.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

That's some crazy sword (knife) needed to cut that cake!!!

Looks like she needs an ax to cut it!

@Just Bling  They had to find a new use for it. It used to be used for "off with his head!"

@Pearlee Hmmm.   A subtle, or not so, reminder?  LOL!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Somewhere I saw a very recent pic of the Queen in this beautiful grey outfit with, of course, a beautiful grey hat.   I was thinking it was in this thread but I see I was wrong.

Did anybody else see that?   It was just in the last few days, IIRC.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Ted Leach and partner Garner who sell Eterna Gold at Qvc stated that they sell their gold to the Royals. Fancy that, that I own something that they do. 

Honored Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

Ted Leach and partner Garner who sell Eterna Gold at Qvc stated that they sell their gold to the Royals. Fancy that, that I own something that they do. 

Hey, me too!  Smiley Happy  

Honored Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Just Bling wrote:

That's some crazy sword (knife) needed to cut that cake!!!

Looks like she needs an ax to cut it!

Camilla and Kate should have offered to help.  Instead they just stand and laugh as the Queen struggles with it.  Smiley Sad

Maybe that's the way to do it in the age of social distancing - cutting the cake from 3' away.

I'm sorry, but exactly how were they to help?  Geesh. Some people just are never happy.

@Sushismom 

I agree, there's no way the Queen would allow any assistance from anyone in performing one of her 'traditions', that would make her look weak and she's far from weak.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

Somewhere I saw a very recent pic of the Queen in this beautiful grey outfit with, of course, a beautiful grey hat.   I was thinking it was in this thread but I see I was wrong.

Did anybody else see that?   It was just in the last few days, IIRC.

That was today at Trooping the Colour. She wore the same outfit in May to the opening of Parliament. It looks like the same one

Queen-Elizabeth-Celebrates-Trooping-of-the-Colour-Without-the-Royal-Family-03.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

queen-outfit-trooping-a.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Queen in that grey-with-yellow ensemble:  Refinement personified.

(That grey has a blue tinge to it, I think, and it makes all the difference in the world.  At least to my eye.)