Honored Contributor

Re: Niagara Falls Frozen Pics

@bunjetto, does it have the kind of sound that helps you sleep?  I'd think so.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

Powerful. What a beautiful sound that would be. Parents honeymoon in 1947. My family enjoyed the visit twenty years ago. Great trip, then on to Toronto. Thanks for sharing.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

In these pics it isn't totally frozen. It rarely totally freezes. When it does it is bad for the people who depend on it for electric as they have to buy off the grid and that is very expensive.

Respected Contributor

Niagara Falls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls I have ever seen. It has two sides the American and a Canadian falls to view them. We used to bring our children there every few years on vacation and watch their eyes light up.

We always have gone on the Canadian side as we feel it is more beautiful. The rainbows across them are so pretty. The Ripley’s believe it or Not and other wonderful attractions are on the Canadian side. We haven’t been on the American side in years. We always got a hotel on the higher floor to see all the falls glory at night. One thing I never did was go on the Maid of the Mist boat ride but it is an attraction there.

The falls are beautiful frozen but I agree with @151949 about feeling bad for people having to purchase electricity off the grid.

Esteemed Contributor

Gorgeus pictures! Heart I always wanted to visit the falls when they're frozen- but I'm not  fan of driving in potentialy snowy weather.

Honored Contributor

Does Niagara Falls Freeze in the Winter?

The answer is no-- the installed steel ice cutters effectively deal with icebergs and prevent the water from jamming up ensuring a steady supply of water. It is also important to do so since the river is a major source of hydroelectric power in the region.

So the next time you look at a modern day ‘frozen’ Niagara Falls, you know the secret–the water never stops flowing! But don't worry, even if it's cold during your trip to Niagara Falls there are plenty of indoor warm weather activities to take part in, all the while still experiencing a portion of the outdoor Niagara Falls Winter.

https://www.niagarafallsmarriott.com/niagara-seasons/does-niagara-falls-freeze-winter

it sounds like the customers who rely on power from the falls dont have to worry too much about losing power due to the water flow.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The Falls are still falling but it's everything around the Falls that are frozen.  Quite stunning.   Cat Wink

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hikarumba!!!  I saw this and looked up to read our outside thermometer. It's a whopping 18 degrees out there!  I was warm till then. LOL Woman Very Happy