Trusted Contributor

Re: Newspapers way back then.

@SloopJohnB....Agree with you, we get home delivery too, I use to look forward to getting the Sunday paper (so thick) and cutting out the store coupons, now you're lucky to get any!  Yep, gone are the good 'ol days!

Respected Contributor

Going back to the 60's and maybe even the 70's, I remember

divorces being published. They even named co-respondent if you can imagine! Co-respondent was the home-wrecker, usually the other woman. In later years when divorces were published they only

printed that the reason was irreconcilable differences.

Honored Contributor

Our babies born would just say boy or girl.

Obits never listed how the person had died, or their addresses.

Come to think of it, no one ever had their identity stolen.  But with all the social media ways everyone can find out info, it's no wonder identities are stolen.

But we had Ann Landers telling her opinion how people should behave, at least her opinion.  We had recipes in the Sunday papers.  We had announcements of upcoming weddings, and engagements.  

The papers told who was serving in the military and what branches they were in.  They told when these people received promotions and who the parents were.

It was like the small town news might be and we weren't a small town.  

Respected Contributor

@SoCal Bred wrote:

@SloopJohnB....Agree with you, we get home delivery too, I use to look forward to getting the Sunday paper (so thick) and cutting out the store coupons, now you're lucky to get any!  Yep, gone are the good 'ol days!

• Yes, exactly!  We get The Miami Herald and The Sun Sentinel and their Sunday issues are like what a daily paper used to be and their daily issues are so thin it is like what the free throw away papers were.  Yes I miss all the coupons and store sale flyers.  Even the comics have been scaled down.  😜
I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

I came across the now yellowed clipping of my parent's wedding announcement in The Miami Herald from years ago.  It listed who made my mother's wedding dress, (my aunt), what fabric the dress was made of, etc.  It listed all the bridesmaids, ushers, flower girl, etc.  All the parents names, where the couple was going to on their honeymoon, where they were going to reside, etc.  

Nowadays, all that info would border on TMI or MYOB.  LOL. 😂

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2   As someone who still gets daily delivery, the paper is so thin nowadays compared to years ago.  Everything is online now.  But the things you mentioned, between identity theft and HIPPA laws, none of that info would fly now.  📰🗞

@SloopJohnB    You didn't mention that most of today's newspapers are advertising. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Yes! I remember reading the bridal listings with all the details. Also, our paper published who visited whom for Sunday dinner (if they chose to share). We had lots of Sunday visitors, but my Mom and Dad didn't share it with the newspaper. I was kind of bummed by that. Hahaha!

Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I agree...newspapers are not what they used to be.  As a kid...my parents got the paper delivered daily, and it was always thick with a multitude of detailed local and world wide news... It kept us connected...and informed.  
  I personally have always enjoyed old newspapers with historic value.  They are like a walk back in time for me.  In the 60's I saved some that carried the Kennedy years including the tragic assassination.   I also had classmates and family that went to the Vietnam war and did not return.  That was part of my generation and I was a teenager at the time.   Keeping some of these old newspapers always interested me.  Occasionally I take them from a sealed bag a look at them.  It certainly was a different time in history.  
     When the pandemic hit in this decade I collected some newspapers that documented the events as well, until this past spring.  When my granddaughters get older...and if they are interested in historic events in their lifetime...I will share them.