Esteemed Contributor

For some reason I got thinking about newspapers when I was a teen. My parents got the paper delivered everyday,

Back then both hospitals in town listed their admissions and discharges. Joe Blow was admitted July 15, 2021 or Joe was discharged such and such a date. 

Weddings had pics of wedding party and in addition to usual info they included a description of the bride's gown and the bridemaids dress. When I got married and the info was sent to the paper I included a written description the bridal shop had given me.

Baby announcements were, a baby girl was born to Mr. and Mrs. Joe Blow, of 123 Maple St., xxx, Pa.  Mrs. Blow is the former Jane Smith. They also gave the baby's weight and length.

Can you imagne that much info beng given today?

Respected Contributor

Re: Newspapers way back then.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   As someone who still gets daily delivery, the paper is so thin nowadays compared to years ago.  Everything is online now.  But the things you mentioned, between identity theft and HIPPA laws, none of that info would fly now.  📰🗞

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I've come across newspaper clippings from when my maternal grandmother had her baby shower, back in 1935!

It was listed as to who attended, how the house was decorated for the party, what foods were served, what gifts were given, and who won at the games that were played.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Those were the days.

Honored Contributor

Wow. I didn’t know hospitals posted admissions and discharges. That’s appalling.
Honored Contributor

My local paper still has birth announcements with the baby's name.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Obituaries often listed the cause of death.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819   I went from the newspaper I described when I was single and lived in the city.

I got married, moved to the country and low and behold the local paper came out......once a week.  Yep.  Every little individual town had a Gladys Kravitz that sent their "news" to the paper in time for publishing. So and so is sick, ****** and Jane xxx had ******'s parents for Sunday dinner, who had a baby etc.

My Mother was amazed by it.  She asked if I called the local busybody to tell them she and Dad were visiting. My response was, he** no.  She was kidding, I wasn't.

Paper doesn't do that anymore.  I guess there is no need, every one has Facebook.

Respected Contributor

I miss those newspapers. Even small towns had a weekly newspaper. I didn't feel so isolated back in those days.

Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Obituaries often listed the cause of death.  

My newspaper still lists the cause if the one who placed the obit wants it in there.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread