Honored Contributor

Re: Newspaper suspends daily paper production except Wed & Sunday

I love not having it on paper.  No mess of papers to carry out and to be cluttering up the house.  It took me about a week to adjust. 

Esteemed Contributor

Our 7 day a week paper just laid off a bunch of employees due to the current CV economic slowdown.  No businesses advertising = reduced revenue. I’ll accept the thinner leaner paper if it helps them struggle through this downturn because I love my morning paper. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I'm due for renewal, though I haven't received bill yet. I've pretty much decided not to renew due to price. It's around $400.00 a year and that will almost pay for my RX deductable. I would miss it though as I've been reading the paper  (same one) since I was a kid way back when.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Makes me sad to see the 'daily newspaper' still being pressed....
especially when the reader has multiple avenues of online reading. 

As we are learning from the Pandemic, it's such a 

fast moving story, fresh data & information is told every

single day...almost hour to hour.  

By the time the newspaper hits the doorstep in the morning, 
that info is so outdated, if not dangerously outdated.

If a person is a 'news hound' to read the paper every day,

I would think they would want up-to-date accurate info🤷‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor

We stopped getting the paper probably 25 years ago if not more. Both of us were working and the morning paper would get to our house after we left for the day so we never read it. We would pick it up and trash it. The few coupons and inserts come to us in the mail every week. We used to have a morning and evening paper choice but the evening one got cut decades ago. It was getting expensive and the price constantly going up and lots of billing errors.just. Not worth the hassle, I can subscribe for an online version only but I see no reason for it.

Honored Contributor

Hold on now @homedecor1 , you just described to the T my husband and his newspaper habits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If this ever happened he would FREAK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it wouldn't be pretty.

And I do like the puzzle page, we both do. We are still getting our's 7 days a week. We just don't like the fact that the Columbus OH Dispatch is now being printed in Indianapolis IN. Kinda crazy right?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

Makes me sad to see the 'daily newspaper' still being pressed....
especially when the reader has multiple avenues of online reading. 

As we are learning from the Pandemic, it's such a 

fast moving story, fresh data & information is told every

single day...almost hour to hour.  

By the time the newspaper hits the doorstep in the morning, 
that info is so outdated, if not dangerously outdated.

If a person is a 'news hound' to read the paper every day,

I would think they would want up-to-date accurate info🤷‍♀️

@sidsmom , I’ve actually given some thought as to why I enjoy my morning paper.  It’s not the “news” that attracts me, cause I get that online as it happens. I like the features and the little tidbits that are probably just filler.  Online, you might search for info on a particular topic,  but with the newspaper I turn the page and some little story pops out at me.  I’m a constant reader, the kind of person who reads the back of a cereal box, and the newspaper is full of such interesting pieces that are not hard news.   Not sure why seeing the daily newspaper being pressed makes you sad - different strokes for different folks.  But I thought you might appreciate an explanation from someone who enjoys her paper. 😉

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 : I understand. When my mother was alive she lived for her newspaper in the same way. Coffee & the paper. 

I received home delivery 7 days/ week for decades. Fantastic delivery man, as you have. He even won a trip to Disney World from the paper. When they let him go the handwriting was clearly on the wall, as they say. Now I completely disagree with the blatantly political views of the publisher and editor. Would throw it right in the recycling bin if you gave it to me. Other local papers are just too much $$$ for the tiny content.

I notice in my neighborhood it is just the oldest residents who continue to pay for daily delivery. Old habits die hard. This pandemic will surely bring the death of more than one newspaper this year. Many have been barely hanging on as is suggested by your paper.

Esteemed Contributor

A family member of mine is a multi award winning journalist. He still works in print media (magazine & web content) but hedged his bets years ago and also works in broadcast media, locally and nationally.

Honored Contributor

Ours is published by Gannett and has about 12 pages in the daily paper. Wouldn't be surprised if they did the same. They used to give a U.S. Today insert I enjoyed reading, but that was stopped too.