Honored Contributor

Re: Newspaper suspends daily paper production except Wed & Sunday

@shoesnbags wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Makes me sad to see the 'daily newspaper' still being pressed....
especially when the reader has multiple avenues of online reading. 

As we are learning from the Pandemic, it's such a 

fast moving story, fresh data & information is told every

single day...almost hour to hour.  

By the time the newspaper hits the doorstep in the morning, 
that info is so outdated, if not dangerously outdated.

If a person is a 'news hound' to read the paper every day,

I would think they would want up-to-date accurate info🤷‍♀️

@sidsmom , I’ve actually given some thought as to why I enjoy my morning paper.  It’s not the “news” that attracts me, cause I get that online as it happens. I like the features and the little tidbits that are probably just filler.  Online, you might search for info on a particular topic,  but with the newspaper I turn the page and some little story pops out at me.  I’m a constant reader, the kind of person who reads the back of a cereal box, and the newspaper is full of such interesting pieces that are not hard news.   Not sure why seeing the daily newspaper being pressed makes you sad - different strokes for different folks.  But I thought you might appreciate an explanation from someone who enjoys her paper. 😉

@shoesnbags 

Thanks for your share.

I mentioned it makes me sad because...the information gleaned

from & outdated daily newspaper can be highly dangerous,

especially in this fast-moving Pandemic story.  
I don't want people to be hurt or sick by not keeping up-to-date,

that's all.  I believe we can all agree with that, eh?🌼

Trusted Contributor

I'm still getting the paper 7 days a week.  I pay $60 a month for the skinny thing but I guess I'm a creature of habit, like to read the morning paper with my coffee.  The problem with me now is that it's another thing coming into my house so I lay it on a mat and spray both sides with lysol. (I know, what about the inside pages?)  Probably crazy I know.  So if they limit my delivery to 2x a week that would make a good thing for me I'm thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Makes me sad to see the 'daily newspaper' still being pressed....
especially when the reader has multiple avenues of online reading. 

As we are learning from the Pandemic, it's such a 

fast moving story, fresh data & information is told every

single day...almost hour to hour.  

By the time the newspaper hits the doorstep in the morning, 
that info is so outdated, if not dangerously outdated.

If a person is a 'news hound' to read the paper every day,

I would think they would want up-to-date accurate info🤷‍♀️

@sidsmom , I’ve actually given some thought as to why I enjoy my morning paper.  It’s not the “news” that attracts me, cause I get that online as it happens. I like the features and the little tidbits that are probably just filler.  Online, you might search for info on a particular topic,  but with the newspaper I turn the page and some little story pops out at me.  I’m a constant reader, the kind of person who reads the back of a cereal box, and the newspaper is full of such interesting pieces that are not hard news.   Not sure why seeing the daily newspaper being pressed makes you sad - different strokes for different folks.  But I thought you might appreciate an explanation from someone who enjoys her paper. 😉

@shoesnbags 

Thanks for your share.

I mentioned it makes me sad because...the information gleaned

from & outdated daily newspaper can be highly dangerous,

especially in this fast-moving Pandemic story.  
I don't want people to be hurt or sick by not keeping up-to-date,

that's all.  I believe we can all agree with that, eh?🌼

Yes, I definitely agree!  Now, a question:  Where are you buying your fresh veggies during this pandemic? I’m finding it impossible to buy 2 weeks worth of fresh produce without stuff going bad. Delivery services are pretty much maxed out in my area so I have to bite the bullet and shop in person.  I thought you might have some tips on keeping produce fresher longer. (Sorry to take this thread off topic)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1

I am a newspaper junkie. I read two papers every day for years. 

The company stopped home delivery in my area. I, now, subscribe to a digital copy of the paper. I do, miss the look  feel, and smell of the print edition of the paper. 

During the crisis the company is giving everyone free access. 

You may want to suggest he try his local paper online or an app on a tablet. 

Will the news win. 

Valued Contributor

Oh no! I really hope ours doesn't do that here :-( My dad will be devastated. I have paid for his paper 7 days a week for the last 3 years. Before that either he or I would go to the store every morning and grab it until I realized it was probably WAY cheaper to have it delivered and it started off that way...for the 1st year or so I only paid $12 a month. 

Then it went up to $18 a month and that's what I'm currently paying. My dad LOVES to read the paper and do the crossword puzzle...he does this EVERY day with his coffee in the morning. 

He doesn't do the online thing even though the subscription includes online access. I totally understand though, he's from the era where it was totally normal to have a paper every day! 

If it makes my dad happy, I am glad to get it for him Heart 

As we are learning life is too short to sweat the small stuff! 

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

My husband and I are addicted to the ritual: Reading the daily Los Angeles Times at the breakfast table, drinking one of many cups of coffee, and fighting about whose allowed to read something out loud to the other. :-)

Right now our paper is condensed: The business section is folded into the main news, and the sports section is folded into the local news. That's okay, but I look forward to when it will get back to normal.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland