Honored Contributor

mtc wrote:

KatCat1 wrote:

@dooBdoo,  Obviously, that is how you read it.  He got scared and ran home to Mom probably trying to sober up.  However, the new media got it wrong the first time and that is NOT FAIR to any individual and I don't care how much you hate him.  News Media can't wait to get a story out.  If it was your life and the news media got your story wrong, you would not apprpeciate it.  That is all I am saying.  Chris is in big trouble and he knows it.  Hopefully, it will sober him up. 

@KatCat1 it sounds like maybe you have a closer relationship to Chris than clearly we do.  I am sorry for what has happened but he needs to own this and not hide behind the system as no matter how you look at it, he was involved in an unfortunate death.  To be honest, I don't care how sorry he is right now as he cannot be more sorry than the family of the man he killed and left in the ditch.  There is no doubt he would never have done this intentionally but unfortunately unintentionally he was responsible for a man's death and he needs to be held accountable.

Very thoughtful post, as always, @momtochloe.    @Katcat1, Do you know this young man personally?   I hope you can realize all of us are profoundly sorry for what happened.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I wonder if he said he was responsible for the crash when he called 911, in any case the police needed to do a breathalizer test at the crash site. Also, I can't wrap my mind around him needing a shot right after he wakes up in the morning! That would immediately put me back to sleep. 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Katcat1, I totally see your point about the media. Maybe fake news isn't the perfect description for what was reported but I'm not sure what we call it when a major portion of the story  is intentionally left out to make the story more sensational.

Yes, it's 100% true that a horrible thing happened and a man, a friend and neighbor of Soules, died as a result. When I first heard the story as reported, what I pictured was the accident and Soules running away through a cornfield looking over his should as his friend died in a ditch.

That's exactly the way the media wanted the story to be portrayed or they would have told the entire story. They knew Soules was the one to call 911 and followed their instructions to try and revive the man until the ambulance arrived. What he did was bad enough, but apparently not bad enough in the eyes of the media to report the entire story. 

@SusieQ_2 @Katcat1 for me, this brings up an excellent point.  Did the media get ahead of the story in order to create headlines without doing due dilligence on the story itself?  Please know I think he had full culpability in this unfortuate incident but for me I would rather wait a few hours to get the full and true story than what reporters can glean from a perhaps not verified source.

Honored Contributor

Re: News Media Shame on You

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, the news media never waits for all details of all stories before reporting -- and that's probably one thing about which all of us might agree.   With demands for news every single second of every day, we've created a monster.   We lambaste a news agency if they're late with headlines, but also if they jump the gun, report too quickly, and don't have all their facts together.    I think the media is da**ed if they do and da**ed if they don't, and I do think we as viewers hold at least some responsibility in that.   That leads to another problem we see all around us...  pointing fingers at others, to blame them, instead of taking accountibility for our actions and the results of those actions.    I'm guilty, too, and I don't know what the answer is.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Katcat1, I totally see your point about the media. Maybe fake news isn't the perfect description for what was reported but I'm not sure what we call it when a major portion of the story  is intentionally left out to make the story more sensational.

Yes, it's 100% true that a horrible thing happened and a man, a friend and neighbor of Soules, died as a result. When I first heard the story as reported, what I pictured was the accident and Soules running away through a cornfield looking over his should as his friend died in a ditch.

That's exactly the way the media wanted the story to be portrayed or they would have told the entire story. They knew Soules was the one to call 911 and followed their instructions to try and revive the man until the ambulance arrived. What he did was bad enough, but apparently not bad enough in the eyes of the media to report the entire story. 

@SusieQ_2 @Katcat1 for me, this brings up an excellent point.  Did the media get ahead of the story in order to create headlines without doing due dilligence on the story itself?  Please know I think he had full culpability in this unfortuate incident but for me I would rather wait a few hours to get the full and true story than what reporters can glean from a perhaps not verified source.

This was the point of @Katcat1's thread--that the media did not report the story as it happened...or should I say it was partially reported because the entire story wasn't as "juicy" a news bit as it was without the all the facts.

This is not directed at mtc but a general statement regarding the thread-

@Katcat1didn't say he was a hero for staying, or a coward for leaving, and she didn't say alcoholics are awesome. We ALL know that loss of life is a tragedy, especially one that could possibly have been prevented.

But the title of this thread is "News Media Shame on You" and I agree 100%. They knew he left, they knew where he went. You can darn well be sure they knew who made the 911 call and that Soules left after the ambulance arrived. No one is suggesting he receive a medal for doing so, but there's a reason that information was left out in that story and it's called sensationalism. Shame on the media for not reporting the whole story. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Yesterday, it was broadcasted on t.v. that Chris Soules (ex Bachelor) left the scene of an accident.  That is not quite accurate.  He called 911 immediately after the accident and was by the man that was on the tractor at his side and talking to 911 he told 911 he did not know CPR but he was told to pump the heart which he did but then there was no pulse.  I guess he was scared and took off which was wrong but to say he left the scene of the accident like he did absolutely nothing was wrong - very wrong.  It seems that Chris has a problem with alcohol but so far is not charged with a DUI.  Chris needs to address his problem with drinking.  I mean what is there to do out where he lives?  No town to speak so he farms and drinks.  I doubt that the tractor had any rear lights on and it was dark.  What's your take on this?  Cat Indifferent

@Katcat1

That IS leaving the scene of the accident. The law is that the person involved MUST stay there until law enforcement arrives.

Respected Contributor

I agree with @dooBdoo. Media wants to be the first with the story and they will report what they know at that time. Once information is provided by law enforcement we then get the additional details. I don't think nothing was misleadinto; the accident happened, people reported what they knew at that time and the sometimes days later we get the complete picture. 

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 I disagree. How many times do you see breaking news in news sites? It's usually followed with "more to come". 

The media, in this case, said he left the scene of a crime, which was true. Nothing was sensationalized. 

Please stop trying to villianize the media, they didn't leave a scene of a crime. 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

This was the point of @Katcat1's thread--that the media did not report the story as it happened...or should I say it was partially reported because the entire story wasn't as "juicy" a news bit as it was without the all the facts.

This is not directed at mtc but a general statement regarding the thread-

@Katcat1didn't say he was a hero for staying, or a coward for leaving, and she didn't say alcoholics are awesome. We ALL know that loss of life is a tragedy, especially one that could possibly have been prevented.

But the title of this thread is "News Media Shame on You" and I agree 100%. They knew he left, they knew where he went. You can darn well be sure they knew who made the 911 call and that Soules left after the ambulance arrived. No one is suggesting he receive a medal for doing so, but there's a reason that information was left out in that story and it's called sensationalism. Shame on the media for not reporting the whole story. 

I can understand some of this reasoning, but I disagree that we can be sure the media had facts that they intentionally withheld.   I would have to see proof of that to believe it was so.    Without proof, we're guilty of what the media is being accused of...  shaming them without all the facts.    As I said before, I do know what it feels like for a loved one to be hurt by inaccurate, damaging headlines, so trust me I'm not trying to be the defense attorney for the media.

Esteemed Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

@SusieQ_2 I disagree. How many times do you see breaking news in news sites? It's usually followed with "more to come". 

The media, in this case, said he left the scene of a crime, which was true. Nothing was sensationalized. 

Please stop trying to villianize the media, they didn't leave a scene of a crime. 

@makeup addict You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. I'm not asking you to change yours and I'd apprreciate the same in return.