Respected Contributor

New wrinkle in the Idaho sudent murders

Turns out that the public defender Anne Taylor was representing Xana Kernodle's mother on drug charges. She withdrew from that case 1-5 the same day that she accepted the position to represent the accused killer of her daughter. 

According to some legal experts this sets up the very real possibility that Bryan Kroberger, if convicted could likley have this conviction overturned on appeal. The legal experts have said that the state of Idaho has just a few public defenders who are qualified to handle this type of case and this is the reason that  Taylor accepted this even though iat appears to be a conflict of interest. 

Honored Contributor

Re: New wrinkle in the Idaho sudent murders

I wonder if the case will be given to another public defender @50Mickey ?

Honored Contributor

I think it would be a stretch if Bryan's team tried to appeal based on the defender's supposed conflict of interest.  But stranger things have happened.  Surely the state of Idaho can find someone else to defend him???

Honored Contributor

The "legal experts" need to intervene and appointment another "one of those few" public defenders who is qualified to handle the case.  Given the circumstances, Anne Taylor is not.  Of course, this fact can jeopardize the outcome of this case and qualify as the botch of the century.  This fact is very unfair to the families who are grieving. They deserve proper retribution.

Respected Contributor

Daily Mail

"Some speculated that Taylor's appointment to represent Kohberger was one of necessity, because in the small, remote county there was not an abundance of qualified public defenders. Taylor is one of just 13 public defenders in Idaho approved by the state's public defense commission to lead a capital punishment case. She's also the only one in all of North Idaho."

Trusted Contributor

I would think that they'd make sure he agreed to her representation to avoid him making a claim later.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  I thought I had read somewhere that he was assigned this particular public defender because she was the only one in that section with experience in death penalty cases.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember reading that Taylor had been previously representing Xana's mother. I thought that meant acting as family spokesperson, etc. Not defending her on criminal charges.

Can't believe the reporters covering this case didn't dig this tidbit up sooner. It's public information. And a huge potential conflict of interest.

Does anyone know more of the mother's story beyond "drug possession?"

Newsweek is reporting Taylor still has power of attorney for Mom.

Respected Contributor

I read that that Taylor had represented the mother on drug charges of possession of a controlled substance when she was arrested a few days after the murder of her daughter. She represented her from 11-19 to 1-5 when she withdrew from the mother's case. 

I first heard about this on the Ashley Banfield show on News Nation. She will have an interview with the mother tonight. I am not really sure about this channel. I don't get the impression that it is a hard news channel but I was flipping channels and came across this last night. If you want to hear more about the back story and you get News Nation it will be interesting to hear what the mother has to say tonight. 

Respected Contributor

News Nation says that since Taylor became chief of the Kootenai County public defender office, it has defended Cara Northington four times. The current charge is a felony.

Right now I believe Kohberger is guilty, but a criminal drug connection to one of the victims fits neatly into the reasonable doubt box.