Honored Contributor

New warning about Gabpentin and serious breathing problems. Neurontin,Gralise,Horizant, Lyrica

[ Edited ]

There is a new warning about the use of Gabapentin respiratory complications in a drug safety communication issued today. If you use this medication you might want to read this and of course consult your physician or pharmacist if you have questions.

“FDA warns about serious breathing problems with seizure and nerve pain medicines gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant) and pregabalin (Lyrica, Lyrica CR)
When used with CNS depressants or in patients with lung problems
12-19-2019
What safety concern is FDA announcing?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning that serious breathing difficulties may occur in patients using gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant) or pregabalin (Lyrica, Lyrica CR) who have respiratory risk factors. These include the use of opioid pain medicines and other drugs that depress the central nervous system, and conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) that reduce lung function. The elderly are also at higher risk.
Gabapentin and pregabalin are FDA-approved for a variety of conditions, including seizures, nerve pain, and restless legs syndrome.
Our evaluation shows that the use of these medicines, often referred to as gabapentinoids, has been growing for prescribed medical use, as well as misuse and abuse. ✅Gabapentinoids are often being combined with CNS depressants, which increases the risk of respiratory depression. ✅CNS depressants include opioids, anti-anxiety medicines, antidepressants, and antihistamines. ✅There is less evidence supporting the risk of serious breathing difficulties in healthy individuals taking gabapentinoids alone. We will continue to monitor these medicines as part of our routine monitoring of all FDA- approved drugs.”

Click on the words “drug safety communication” in paragraph 1, to read the link to the FDA communication. 

Contributor

Re: New warning about Gabpentin and serious breathing problems. Neurontin,Gralise,Horizant, Lyrica

Thank you for sharing this info.  I was not aware of this , Used lyrica for years.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New warning about Gabpentin and serious breathing problems. Neurontin,Gralise,Horizant, Lyrica

[ Edited ]

So, it's Gabpentin in combination with other medicine that can cause breathing problems.

But Gabpentin by itself doesn't cause breathing problems.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take Gabapentin, it gave me back my life.  I don't have any respiratory issues and I'm not taking any cns depressants so this does not apply to me.  Honestly, when I weigh chronic disabling pain against the risks....I'd have to weigh them very carefully before I would consider going off the Gabapentin.  

Esteemed Contributor

This is not really news to any of my doctors.  They keep asking about how I am with the drug cocktail I am on.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for another interesting article Mindy. I appreciate any article that relates to public health or safety, because I love researching medical claims. Some turn out to be bogus, but are interesting nonetheless.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

This is not really news to any of my doctors.  They keep asking about how I am with the drug cocktail I am on.

It's not news to any doctor.  Gabapentin has been around and in use for many years now, the risks and contraindications are know.  However, they are prescribing it or off label uses now.  

Honored Contributor

@jonim wrote:

Thank you for sharing this info.  I was not aware of this , Used lyrica for years.  

@jonim  No one is aware of this. This is a brand new warning alert for doctors and pharmacists. Your doctor and pharmacist should just be getting this alert right now. They might not have read this yet. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I take Gabapentin, it gave me back my life.  I don't have any respiratory issues and I'm not taking any cns depressants so this does not apply to me.  Honestly, when I weigh chronic disabling pain against the risks....I'd have to weigh them very carefully before I would consider going off the Gabapentin.  

@chrystaltree   Hi Crystaltree. Just to be clear, here’s a quote from the warning. 

Our evaluation shows that the use of these medicines, often referred to as gabapentinoids, has been growing for prescribed medical use, as well as misuse and abuse. Gabapentinoids are often being combined with CNS depressants, which increases the risk of respiratory depression. CNS depressants include opioids, anti-anxiety medicines, antidepressants, and antihistamines. There is less evidence supporting the risk of serious breathing difficulties in healthy individuals taking gabapentinoids alone. We will continue to monitor these medicines as part of our routine monitoring of all FDA- approved drugs.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@Still Raining  This is the first time that this warning is being sent to physicians and pharmacists.