Honored Contributor

New (to me) Scam involving DirecTV

My husband got a phone call from someone claiming to be from DirecTV.  They said that they were repositioning their satellites and we would lose service in a few days unless they did something to our receiver.  They wanted to do this immediately and online by having him go to the receiver and bring something up.  He refused saying he was busy ad then called DirecTV.  They agreed that it was a scam.  Not sure exactly what it is they are wanting to do to our receiver, but be forewarned.  

Honored Contributor

Re: New (to me) Scam involving DirecTV

@Icegoddess 

Its amazing all the scams these fraudsters continue to dream up....SMH!!!  I wished they'd use their talents for good....Smiley Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the heads up! I have Directv. I always screen incoming calls so if I don’t recognize the caller I let the answering machine get it. But if the screen says Directv chances are I would answer because I’m a customer. I will be very cautious.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the heads-up! Just let my DH know about it as he is usually the one to deal with Direct TV. I just don't have the patience to deal with them!!
Honored Contributor

I have received 3 of these calls, and suspected it was a scam right away. In 21 years as a DirecTV customer, they have never called me about any kind of programming issue.

The calls I received came across as an urgent need to reprogram or else I would lose my programming altogether. I told the foreign caller to do me a favor and cut the ****** thing off to save me money; he hung up.
Honored Contributor

It's also a scam when they say they're calling from Directv and just want to know how satisfied you are with your service.
Honored Contributor

I actually don't answer calls that appear to come from DirecTV because I figure they're going to try and sell me on some sort of upgrade I don't want.  I figure if it's really important they will leave a message.

Esteemed Contributor

For sure irritating, but I wonder what their aim was.  Can they access anything interesting thru the receiver?  I don't have any kind of cable so I don't know.

Super Contributor

Sounds like they're wanting in your house so they can case the place.  Don't fall for it.  

Honored Contributor

@Infinite Mom 47 wrote:

Sounds like they're wanting in your house so they can case the place.  Don't fall for it.  

@Infinite Mom 47 No, they don't want into the house.  They wanted us to go to the receiver and bring something up.  I'm guessing it was something that shows identifying information for the unit so they could access it remotely.  They got nowhere with us.  I'm not even sure they were in the US judging from the accent.  

I have no idea what might be on my receiver that they would want to hack unless it's just for maliciousness.  Maybe they want to buy content, watch it remotely, and stick us with the bill.