Respected Contributor

The exhausting scam ****** I get on my cell is beyond.  I finally got Hiya for $2.99 a month or $14.99 a year which is what I pay.  One of the best decisions I have ever made!  Now, if there was a comparable feature for scam emails, I would be set.  I didn't think my days of retirement would be spent deleting those scam emails on a daily basis, lol!  

Respected Contributor

I usually ignore scam calls and calls I don't recognize....but sometimes, for "fun"I pick up,

let them do thier scammer spiel, and go along..um hum,yep, I see.....

Until the end.

when they stop jabbering.....

I ask them,politely, if they've let thier mother know about this scam?

The ones I get the most are my SS number will be "closed" ,and "someone" charged 700 to my Amazon account.

The other ones I like are when they call about "lowering your interest rate on your VISA".

I always ask "WHICH VISA????  What bank?

They hang up immediately.

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop   I use Outlook for email and it works well at sending scams to the junk file. Only once every two months does a scam end up in my Inbox.

I thought all email programs now allow you to set the level of junk detection. I have mine set too high so that some legit email ends up in junk, but it's easy to deal with that.

Esteemed Contributor

With emails, I snooze the senders  for about 6 months, unsubscribe or block them. It works for me.

Honored Contributor

You didn't have Google the number.  No hospital would ever send a text regarding billing matters.  There are 1 million scams out there and the number grows every day.

Respected Contributor

Re: New (to me) Phone Scam

[ Edited ]

Got the April AARP Bulletin today and it had a large article on scams. Interesting that "account problem text scams" was #9 on a list of Hot Scams.

Equally important is AARP's efforts to destigmatize scam victims -- blaming the victim. I have a highly educated friend who's been scammed three times. She feels like a fool and won't talk about it when I try to help. I understand, but no one wants her to fall victim again.

Trusted Contributor

Sadly I'm getting at least 1 text scam per day.  Most of the time its someone saying they are from USPS and couldn't drop off a package.  Yesterday it was a message saying my Paypal account was locked (I don't use Paypal).  Sometimes they indicate they are from the DMV (my state doesn't have a DMV).  I block every time but they just sent the next time with a similar phone number.

The past 2 days I've noticed that a call will come through with my area code but the located provided is NOT in my state looks like - City, State, Canadian Providence

Honored Contributor

I get the phone calls (on my land line) Never on my cell phone.  Yesterday I got a call saying my social security number has been compremised. I hung up on her. When I get ready to retire, everyone will calling about their version of Medicare.  It never ends.  

Esteemed Contributor

I  also get the car warranty one and My car is 24 years old.  The guys that want to buy my car. I,'ve kept it in good shape.

Respected Contributor

I  have a Land Line and cell. My Land Line is not listed. Calls  volumn are not too bad. It only costs me $19.00 extra in my basic Spectrum package so I kept the land line. I noticed a few months ago that Spectrum has a "Spam Risk" that pops up automatically which I thought nice feature.

An acquaintance of mine is trying to rectify a $144.00 charge from Direct TV. He called Direct TV initially regarding a service  issue and channel changing that took  way too long  of time,  to that effect. He said  he knew Direct TV already had his Credit Card number on file.

His wife was livid and called the bank who is helping them and they ended up cancelling that  CC card. He is in his 80s and admitted too trusting of people and intentions. He felt Direct TV having his CC could have  allowed a third party his  information?