Esteemed Contributor

Re: New (to me) Phone Scam

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@Sage04   I would like that too. What Android level is your new phone? Does that feature come from your phone manufacturer, AT&T, or Android?

@PickyPicky3  I just checked and it's SAMSUNG GALAXY A12, 32 GB from AT&T

Forgot to mention that it's a big phone, about 6.5 inches and it's made in Vietnam.

Respected Contributor

I have not received a text scam as far as I'm aware.

However, on my landline, just today, I got 2 calls telling me my SS# will be suspended as there has been fradulent use of it in Texas.  I've been getting these same calls for at least a year or more.  If I don't push 1 to talk to someone about it I will have to face a judge and grand jury investigation, blah blah blah.

Has anyone gotten that one?  In the beginning I reported it to the .gov website for scam calls but I have continued to get them.  The past few weeks these robo calls have been daily and its unsettling.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I don't know if I've gotten any of the fake SS ones because I don't answer them.   When you answer them you will get more, plus there is a huge market for selling lists of phone numbers that have been verified by the people who answer them.  

Best course of action is to let them go w/o answering and, if you have the option, block them.  I know that they change #s and use all kinds of fake ones, but it doesn't hurt.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I have not received a text scam as far as I'm aware.

However, on my landline, just today, I got 2 calls telling me my SS# will be suspended as there has been fradulent use of it in Texas.  I've been getting these same calls for at least a year or more.  If I don't push 1 to talk to someone about it I will have to face a judge and grand jury investigation, blah blah blah.

Has anyone gotten that one?  In the beginning I reported it to the .gov website for scam calls but I have continued to get them.  The past few weeks these robo calls have been daily and its unsettling.

@jellyBEAN  oh yea, that one comes by often. I love to listen to my voice mail messages. They are so entertaining.  Look at this. You live in Texas and I'm in Georgia, same message.

Don't let them get to you. You can also block the number but don't be surprise if another number calls with the same message.

Respected Contributor

I receive text scams almost daily...most are bogus package deliveries. Now that so many people use settings on their mobile phones to screen unwanted calls, scammers have turned to text messaging. Ugh

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't know if I've gotten any of the fake SS ones because I don't answer them.   When you answer them you will get more, plus there is a huge market for selling lists of phone numbers that have been verified by the people who answer them.  

Best course of action is to let them go w/o answering and, if you have the option, block them.  I know that they change #s and use all kinds of fake ones, but it doesn't hurt.  Smiley Happy

I have never answered one, a robo voice leaves a threatening message which I then just delete off my voicemail.  These calls started over a year ago.  Then they stopped for awhile, but now I'm getting them again.  Yes, I'll have to save the # and try and get it blocked.  2 calls in one day is too many and I've been getting these calls almost daily lately.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN   Here are two suggestions.

1.  There are answering machine/cordless phone systems which give you the option to completely block all calls. Callers hear a message giving them a code which they must enter to make your phone ring. Human beings will do that; robos can't. The problem is you'll miss some legitimate robocalls, but you'll still see the caller ID number.

2.  You can just go cold turkey and turn off all answering/voicemail options and just let your phone ring and ring. You can see who is calling by caller ID. You have to tell people in advance what you're doing and tell them to text you and you'll call them back. After a month (or so) your robocalls will drop dramatically, but it's not pleasant.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

You ought to see some of the junk emails I get that shows up in my junk file that I delete about 20 times a day.

I didn't know there was that many 'positions'. Nothing but filth.

I'll change places with the ones who gets text scams any day.

@SharkE 

I get a lot of those at my hotmail account. Just the subject line is nasty, offering to do all sorts of things to me all night long.  And whoever is sending them obviously thinks I'm a man. lol

Super Contributor

Oh, how I wish I could just block all calls except for who's in my address book!  But because my husband has just retired, I'm dealing with supplemental insurance companies, Medicare, SS, the investment company for his 401K, etc.  They call from various offices all over the U.S. and I never know if a call is from one of them or a  scam caller.  So I have to answer. 

Not to mention every day things like the bank (various phone numbers), people I've called for service work, etc. that I really need to talk to, not just get a voice message.

What I don't understand is, how do these scammers know to call me when I've just comfortably settled in my recliner, picked up my crocheting, and forgot my phone in the kitchen?  Happens a lot!  Woman Frustrated

Man plans. God laughs.
Trusted Contributor

I get more scam calls that I do actual phone calls in a day. I don't answer a number I don't recognize. I always feel so bad for people who have actually sent these people money. it sounds so crazy that someone would do that but it happens all the time. I had to take my mothers access to money away because she would give out information. It's hard to do but sometimes it has to be done. They prey on older people by frightening them.