Esteemed Contributor

Re: New to Uber - tip? Other questions

@dusty523 wrote:

Since my car is no longer in service since March, I have had to use Uber both to and from work.  I do not leave a tip.  However, in order to obtain an Uber ride, you have to download the app and put in your payment method using either a debit or credit card.  There is no cash transactions.  At the end of the ride, you will be able to leave a suggested tip or not.  Also, you can rate the driver by providing one to five stars for the ride.  I hope this information helps.

You don't leave a tip...ever?

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover You can buy Uber gift cards and load them on the app. I buy mine at CVS, I'm sure they're also sold at plenty of other locations. I use credit cards for Uber too and have never had a single issue. Doesn't mean it will never happen of course.

I tip unless the situation really doesn't warrant it ie a really dirty car, a rude unfriendly driver, bad driver as in speeding.

I've read that Uber drivers don't know whether you've tipped or not before they rate you. But you have to keep your passenger rating as high as possible in order to have good chances at being picked up.

Tips for that are don't eat or drink in the car unless they offer it, make sure you're outside and ready to be picked up, don't slam car doors, be courteous and thank them for driving you. Send a text or call with pickup tips if necessary.

You can tip with cash, sometimes I do. I've been using Uber and Lyft for five years now. I prefer Lyft because it's cheaper where I live and in my area there are more female Lyft drivers.

Always check the car and license plate, and ask the driver what's my name.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Uber is not a taxi.  It' doesn't work like a taxi.  You have to have the app to request  ride and you HAVE to pay and tip through app.  Cash is not an option, not even for  tip.  You really need to go to the Uber webpage to familiarize yourself with the process because right now,  you don't know what Uber is.  If you do get the app and use it, the tip options will be clearly displayed when you pay.  You will also be prompted to rate the driver, the drivers also rate the passengers.  Tipping is optional but I'm sure that negatively affects your rating.  I tip 15% or 20% depending on the charge.    I don't use a CC for Uber or Lyft or for much of my online shopping.  I have a couple of debit cards that are not linked to my bank account for those things.  

This is absolutely NOT true.  You can tip the driver with cash.  I always tip using cash and hand it directly to the driver when I exit the car.     

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva You are correct

I've been in cars with signs stating that cash tips are welcome. Have never seen Uber or Lyft state that they're not allowed.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover 

Download the uber app and apply the payments to your Paypal account.

There is no money exchanged, I use it often for short trips, I tip on occasion if the service or conversation is amazing

@PilatesLover wrote:

I'll be using Uber for the first time when I do a business travel tomorrow.  

I'm guessing you can pay with cash - I do not want to divulge my CC number. Is that correct?

And what is considered the usual tip?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

never used it but I think the point is to be cashless   

if you are concerned about CC security you could get a throwaway card to use

@I am still oxox   is the uber expert I think 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much everyone! Great suggestions here.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva You are correct

I've been in cars with signs stating that cash tips are welcome. Have never seen Uber or Lyft state that they're not allowed.

Perhaps it's my State.  I've never seen a sign like that in Uber or Lyft.  It's probably safety measure for the drivers, taking cash out of the equation.  

Honored Contributor

I think I have seen Uber card at the stores where all the gift cards are sold, so that's an option too, as was mentioned.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltreeI always tip in cash.  There's no requirement that tipping be done by CC.