Trusted Contributor

New to Uber - tip? Other questions

I'll be using Uber for the first time when I do a business travel tomorrow.  

I'm guessing you can pay with cash - I do not want to divulge my CC number. Is that correct?

And what is considered the usual tip?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: New to Uber - tip? Other questions

The way to hail an Uber is to get the app and sign up for it. Then request a ride. When you sign up I'm pretty sure that you can only do so by adding a cc to your profile.  I've used Uber a few times without any problems with my cc.

You can also rate your driver after the ride and add a tip then.  As for cash I don't know how that would work.  Maybe someone else might know.

Honored Contributor

Hi @PilatesLover  I am not sure you can pay with cash.  I have always used my card and the app.  I've never had an issue.  Regarding tip - it has been a month or two since I took an Uber but I want to say - after the trip ends, when you rate the driver, you can add a percentage tip or a custom amount.  I usually tip the same as a restaurant - 20 - 25% if a nice driver, clean car, etc.

Honored Contributor

Paying with cash

Uber is designed to be an entirely cashless experience in most cities.

When a trip ends, the payment method selected for your trip is immediately charged. A receipt is emailed to you, and your account's trip history is updated with details about the route and fare.

A tip is not included in the fare and tipping is not required on Uber rides. However, you are welcome to do so in cash, through the app, on riders.uber.com, or from your emailed trip receipt, where available.
Trusted Contributor

@PilatesLoverVery good question which I'm interested in also ... I use Lyft monthly and my understanding is one has to have a credit card on file for use.  I can give the driver a cash tip or add a tip on the credit card.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use uber when I travel. You should download the uber app which will make it easy to book yiur ride.minthink you need to use a credit card...I have never seen a cash option. You can tip on the app after the ride.

you will be given a choice of what kind of car you wish to pick you up. I always choose one of the more expensive cars..nicer rides and safer. They will text when they are close. You can also track the car on the app.

Make sure you check that the license matches what is on your app and ask them who they are picking up before you get into the car.  

I do do not know where you are traveling to but some airports restrict uber pick ups. 

Good luck..it is very handy.

Contributor

Since my car is no longer in service since March, I have had to use Uber both to and from work.  I do not leave a tip.  However, in order to obtain an Uber ride, you have to download the app and put in your payment method using either a debit or credit card.  There is no cash transactions.  At the end of the ride, you will be able to leave a suggested tip or not.  Also, you can rate the driver by providing one to five stars for the ride.  I hope this information helps.

Honored Contributor

You can pay with Paypal as well. That is how I have always paid for Uber.

I tip in cash.

Honored Contributor

Uber is not a taxi.  It' doesn't work like a taxi.  You have to have the app to request  ride and you HAVE to pay and tip through app.  Cash is not an option, not even for  tip.  You really need to go to the Uber webpage to familiarize yourself with the process because right now,  you don't know what Uber is.  If you do get the app and use it, the tip options will be clearly displayed when you pay.  You will also be prompted to rate the driver, the drivers also rate the passengers.  Tipping is optional but I'm sure that negatively affects your rating.  I tip 15% or 20% depending on the charge.    I don't use a CC for Uber or Lyft or for much of my online shopping.  I have a couple of debit cards that are not linked to my bank account for those things.  

Honored Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@PilatesLoverVery good question which I'm interested in also ... I use Lyft monthly and my understanding is one has to have a credit card on file for use.  I can give the driver a cash tip or add a tip on the credit card.  

I use Lyft often and my friend's husband is retired but he drives for Lyft a few times a week.  Uber and Lyft driver are prohibited from taking cash tips.  If you have drivers who accept cash, that would be a big red flag for me that something is off with that driver.  It's something I would report to Lyft.  Also, how do you tip when you don't even get the charge until you arrive at your destination and then exit the car???  The driver is gone when you pay through the app.