QVC Customer Care

Re: New to Medicare - Does anyone know this? (re: deductible)

Honored Contributor

@BLH wrote:

When you have medicare and a supplement, you can go to any doctor or hospital in this country everyday if you want.  Be very careful about medicare advantage plans.  If you have a HMO, there are no out of network benefits.  If you have a PPO then you have out of network benefits.  Also with an advantage plan you have co-pays which you don't have with medicare and a supplement.  

I have co-pays with a retiree Medicare plus Aetna supplement. Every plan is different.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@BLH wrote:

When you have medicare and a supplement, you can go to any doctor or hospital in this country everyday if you want.  Be very careful about medicare advantage plans.  If you have a HMO, there are no out of network benefits.  If you have a PPO then you have out of network benefits.  Also with an advantage plan you have co-pays which you don't have with medicare and a supplement.  

I have co-pays with a retiree Medicare plus Aetna supplement. Every plan is different.

@BLH  I have had my Medicare Advantage Plan for ten years. I have no co pays at my Doctor. If I go out of network then there is a co pay.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

They have to reduce their fees to the amount Medicare allows which is a huge reduction on some procedures.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Medicare Advantage plan; no deductible but an out-of -pocket maximum. Will be switching to United from Humana in Jan. Before that it was Aetna. My pension administrator has switched us three times in the past five years. Hate getting familiar with a plan and then being moved. If anyone tells you all Medicare plans are the same, I know that is so not true! 

Respected Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

I turned 65 this month.  Does this mean I have to meet a deductible between now and 12/31/20 and then another one in 2021?

To my knowledge, there is no deductible when it come to Medicare itself.  

Regular Contributor

IRe: New to Medicare - Does anyone know this? (re: deductible)

I have Medicare traditional and pay 350 deductible each year.  Some of the Advantage plans have no deductible.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: IRe: New to Medicare - Does anyone know this? (re: deductible)

@ginirn wrote:

I have Medicare traditional and pay 350 deductible each year.  Some of the Advantage plans have no deductible.

My Medicare has $198 yearly deductible. This varies widely by state. All the Advantage plans I checked out in my area have huge deductibles, though most had no premiums. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

Re: IRe: New to Medicare - Does anyone know this? (re: deductible)

The medicare deductible is federal and the same in every state.  What is different is the supplemental plans that are offered to work in conjunction with medicare.  You need to go over what is offered in your state and prices for the various options.  There are various deductibles, co-pays/no co-pays, etc.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

go directly to medicare online and use the chat line.