Regular Contributor

Re: New to Medicare - Does anyone know this? (re: deductible)

@tarsmom wrote:

Thank you for your input.

I will call Medicare to confirm.  I know when I was an insurance agent years ago if a person met his deductible the last three months of the year, they did not need to meet a new one on Jan. 1.  

It just seems odd if someone turned 65 on 11/30/20, they only have 30 days to meet their deductible.  

Yes you will have to meet a deductible this year and it starts over January 1. Medicare does not have fourth quarter carryover.  I don't think many companies have had fourth quarter carryover for a few years now. 

Honored Contributor

You're better off with private insurance. You can't count on Medicare to be there for you in the very near future.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Occasional Contributor

hello, i received a packet and booklet, with a number to call, as well as a medicare.gov link.  Its a nightmare, believe me, and we no longer have 100% medicare coverage as promised when we were working.

Occasional Contributor

hello, it will depend on which plan you go with, parts, advantage, gap, etc. you can find information on medicare.gov and can call someone who knows. Its a nightmare.

Occasional Contributor

Maybe. Depends on your choices, which are nightmares to say the least. 

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think there is a deductible with Medicare, I have been on it for 3 years and never had a deductible. 

Same with me. I am enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan offered to retired GA State employees. I have never had to meet a deductible for office visits, tests or meds.  But thankfully I have not been hospitalized since being on Medicare so I don't know about that. 

@50Mickey

Most state health insurance programs have very good websites. Please understand as much about your coverage as possible. 

Regular Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

You're better off with private insurance. You can't count on Medicare to be there for you in the very near future.

When you turn 65 you are required to sign up for Medicare, unless you have insurance through a large employer.  If you want to use ACA you will no longer be eligible for any subsidies and will have to pay the full premium.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

I turned 65 this month.  Does this mean I have to meet a deductible between now and 12/31/20 and then another one in 2021?

Medicare covers about 80%.  If you purchased a supplemental plan, see what it says.  For example, I turned 65 in June and had a deductible for that year and thereafter.  But it's a very low deductible comparaed to what I had in my prior employer plan.

Valued Contributor

Yes, as far as doctor visits are concerned.  I don't know anything about the hosptal, but every person has an annural deductible every year starting Jan 1 for doctor visits.  A medicare advantage plan is totally different then having medicare and a supplement.

Valued Contributor

When you have medicare and a supplement, you can go to any doctor or hospital in this country everyday if you want.  Be very careful about medicare advantage plans.  If you have a HMO, there are no out of network benefits.  If you have a PPO then you have out of network benefits.  Also with an advantage plan you have co-pays which you don't have with medicare and a supplement.