Honored Contributor

Re: New to Medicare - Does anyone know this? (re: deductible)

@tarsmom 

I just got a notice recently that I met my deductible for this year.

----------------------------------

@tarsmom wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think there is a deductible with Medicare, I have been on it for 3 years and never had a deductible. 

@Shelbelle   It's $198 for 2020. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Q-Checker wrote:

I think that the size of the deductible for MC varies according to what one's premium is and that is determined based on your income in the prior year. That will place you into a specific payment bracket.  In any event, do not delay signing up as you will be charged more to make up for missing a year. I suggest a call to MC Customer Service -- they have been helpful to me in the past. 

@Q-Checker 

She said that she has already enrolled in "Medicare, a medicare supplement and a prescription plan".  But I agree that she needs to call Medicare Customer Service for the answer to her question.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Some supplements cover the deductible. It depends what you signed up for. Did you speak to an insurance agent or a counselor before you decided? They would have the answer for you.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom wrote:

I turned 65 this month.  Does this mean I have to meet a deductible between now and 12/31/20 and then another one in 2021?

@tarsmom the answer to your question is yes, it starts all over again on January 1.

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom 

I just wonder, if Medicare patients pay less, does a doctor's office only have to take a certain percentage of total patients as medicare patients?  Then, probably, they would only get a percentage of appointments.

I know most doctors and dentists do probono work several days a month?  Quarter?

Valued Contributor

Thank you for your input.

I will call Medicare to confirm.  I know when I was an insurance agent years ago if a person met his deductible the last three months of the year, they did not need to meet a new one on Jan. 1.  

It just seems odd if someone turned 65 on 11/30/20, they only have 30 days to meet their deductible.  

Trusted Contributor

My husband has had Medicare for a few years and we don't have to meet any deductible.  The monthly premium is deducted from his social security. We then get reimbursed for the premium through the company he retired from. They also reimburse us for the supplemental health insurance we have.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom   Medicare Part B deductible which is $198 runs per calandar year.  You would have to meet a deductible for 2020 and again in 2021.

However, if you are in admitted to the hospital in 2020 Medicare Part A applies a deductible which is $1408.  This deductible works on a benefit period of 60 days, not a calendar  year.  You can be admitted multiple times within a 60 day period and not have to meet another deductible.

If you are hospital free for 60 days, the benefit period is over and you would have another deductible to meet if you are admitted to the hospital.

Many people with Medicare have a Supplement that will cover the inpatient deductible, and maybe the Medicare Part B deductible.

If you are a new Medicare insured, you probably do not have coverage for the Medicare Part B deductible.  These coverages are no longer available for new enrollees.

The answer is yes, you would have to pay the Medicare Part B deductible of $198 in 2020 and again in 2021 if you have claims.

I met my deductible in December when I turned 65 and had another one to meet in January.  I had a mammogram in December and a follow up visit with the doctor in January.  I wasn't too happy about it.

Frequent Contributor

The short answer is yes --  you would have a deductible for 2020 and then a new deductible for 2021.  That said, depending on the type of supplement insurance plan you selected, that plan may cover the deductible.  Not all medical services are subject to the deductible.  Some preventive services are covered 100%.

Traditional Medicare can be confusing at the beginning.  It gets easier.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all!

I love this board Smiley Happy