Valued Contributor

New to Medicare - Does anyone know this? (re: deductible)

I turned 65 this month.  Does this mean I have to meet a deductible between now and 12/31/20 and then another one in 2021?

Honored Contributor

Re: New to Medicare - Does anyone know this? (re: deductible)

@tarsmom wrote:

I turned 65 this month.  Does this mean I have to meet a deductible between now and 12/31/20 and then another one in 2021?

@tarsmom That would depend on whether you have enrolled in a plan. 

Honored Contributor

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think there is a deductible with Medicare, I have been on it for 3 years and never had a deductible. 

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom great question   I don’t know your answer but I hope someone writes and tells us both   I’ve been on Medicare for almost 15 years now, but I’m curious

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@tarsmom wrote:

@tarsmom That would depend on whether you have enrolled in a plan. 

@Mindy D    Sorry I should have been more specific.  I have enrolled in Medicare, a medicare supplement and a prescription plan.  What I am speaking about mainly is the Medicare deductible.  It seems like if someone turns 65 in January, they have the whole year to meet their deductible vs. someone who turns 65 in the last 3 months of the year.  Hope that clarifies my question Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think there is a deductible with Medicare, I have been on it for 3 years and never had a deductible. 

@Shelbelle   It's $198 for 2020. 

Super Contributor

I purchased a replacement plan; it is an individual decision.  I worked with an insurance advisor....at no cost to me.  It helped narrow down your choices.  BTW:  Medicare and any replacement or supplemental insurance coverage does run per calendar year.  I just got my Medicare insurance book for 2021, and I was eligible for Medicare in May of 2020.  

Super Contributor

I think that the size of the deductible for MC varies according to what one's premium is and that is determined based on your income in the prior year. That will place you into a specific payment bracket.  In any event, do not delay signing up as you will be charged more to make up for missing a year. I suggest a call to MC Customer Service -- they have been helpful to me in the past. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Same with me. I am enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan offered to retired GA State employees. I have never had to meet a deductible for office visits, tests or meds.  But thankfully I have not been hospitalized since being on Medicare so I don't know about that. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@tarsmom wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle   It's $198 for 2020. 

I know my first claim of 2020 was a virtual appt with my PCP in April to dscuss my BP, it was paid in full, so no deductible. I also have a supp with Care First BC/ BS