Honored Contributor

By not watching any shows that offend you.. your problem is solved. 

We each have that choice.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

We gave watching "Scream Queens" the other night but nope it didn't fly.  The riding lawn mower scene, well that was the end of us watching.  It wasn't funny and Jamie Lee Curtis role, well I'll get my opinion to myelf.   Personally I don't think this series will survive.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

@redhead78 wrote:

Well, its very much the trend right now so it will be force-fed to us until the next big thing comes along.

Only if we let it.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

Here is a new shows to watch for soon.  Just reported on People Mag. about 45 min. ago.

The Duggars are back.

TLC will air "two or more" TV specials following Jessa (Duggar) Seewald and Jill (Duggar) Dillard, according to the Associated Press.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Frequent Contributor

I guess I really don't think about it much.  I watch a new show that sounds interesting and if I don't like it I don't watch it.  I don't even really notice if there is any LGBT stuff in it.  I just care about whether or not it's a good story.  If you asked about my favorite shows, I'd really have to think about whether or not LGBT issues/people were a part of the show.  It's just not something I notice. 

Thank heaven's the Duggers are back - I'll finally have some good t.v. to watch again.  (Just kidding guys....I know who they are but I don't watch the show!)

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I've been watching most of the new season's shows and it seems we are going to have to deal with LGBT issues in all of them now.  Much more than in RL.  I'm fine with it existing, but I don't want to watch it every night.

"Much more than in RL" depends on your life, I think. If you are LGBT, then it's probably way fewer issues than you're used to. If you have a lot of LGBT friends, it's probably pretty average. If you don't have a lot of LGBT friends, it probably does seem like a lot. I work with LGBT people, have many LGBT friends, am in community groups with many LGBT people, and my sister is a lesbian. I don't feel like TV overrepresents the  LGBT community or their issues.

Well then you must be very well aware that all of these people you know usually live their lives quietly and normally.  My daughter was in the hair salon business for over 30 years and many of her friends are in those categories.  I have met a lot of them and they are just normal people, not the overblown characters that are shown on TV.

You seem to be taking my post as bigotry.  It is not.  It's the exploitation that I dislike, not the people who are born genetically different from the majority.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

And those will be the shows I won't be watching.  It's becoming kind of like the gratuitous scenes of half-dressed women - generally nothing to do with the shows whatsoever.

Honored Contributor

Re: New season's shows

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

I've been watching most of the new season's shows and it seems we are going to have to deal with LGBT issues in all of them now.  Much more than in RL.  I'm fine with it existing, but I don't want to watch it every night.

"Much more than in RL" depends on your life, I think. If you are LGBT, then it's probably way fewer issues than you're used to. If you have a lot of LGBT friends, it's probably pretty average. If you don't have a lot of LGBT friends, it probably does seem like a lot. I work with LGBT people, have many LGBT friends, am in community groups with many LGBT people, and my sister is a lesbian. I don't feel like TV overrepresents the  LGBT community or their issues.

Well then you must be very well aware that all of these people you know usually live their lives quietly and normally.  My daughter was in the hair salon business for over 30 years and many of her friends are in those categories.  I have met a lot of them and they are just normal people, not the overblown characters that are shown on TV.

You seem to be taking my post as bigotry.  It is not.  It's the exploitation that I dislike, not the people who are born genetically different from the majority.

No, I didn't assume you were a bigot. And it's too bad you did not mention or explain this in your first post, because I would have just said I absolutely agree with you. I don't like it when any minority group is added as a token or portrayed as a stereotype. But I think more shows are portraying gay characters as regular people who happen to be gay.

One person asked you for some examples and you just said all of them basically and didn't name any you have in mind. I'd love to hear some of the examples of shows and characters who have token gay people who are there for exploitation purposes. I think that would make for a great discussion.

Honored Contributor

Re: New season's shows

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

No, I didn't assume you were a bigot. And it's too bad you did not mention or explain this in your first post, because I would have just said I absolutely agree with you. I don't like it when any minority group is added as a token or portrayed as a stereotype. But I think more shows are portraying gay characters as regular people who happen to be gay.

One person asked you for some examples and you just said all of them basically and didn't name any you have in mind. I'd love to hear some of the examples of shows and characters who have token gay people who are there for exploitation purposes. I think that would make for a great discussion.

See my comment about googling many new shows' exploitation of LGBT characters.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

While I have seen more LGBT characters in television shows, I do not recall thinking that was exploitation.  Many were integral characters, would also be interested in which ones you feel are exploiting these characters.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.